Hi dan, just noticed your post.
I'm sorry, I thought I did answer it?

Is it not plausible and reasonable to say that the israelites had a different way of counting legs than we do?
Is it not plausible and reasonable to say that everything that flew was called a bird?
Is it not plausible and resonable to conclude that the meaning of the word "Bird" for them was different to what it is for us.
These descriptions were given in a way that the israelites would be able to identify what could and could not be eaten. They were not given as a modern day science lesson to an ancient people.

Having an agricultural background as they did, I am sure that they had seen grasshoppers and locusts and beetles many times prior to receiving those commandments as well as after receiving them.
Obviously, they were not confused by it.

Dan, has not the system of classifying animals, insects etc, evolved, changed and undergone reclassification over the past 1000 years, in direct proportion to the growth of knowledge?
Will the system of classifying animals, insects etc not continue to evolve, change and undergo reclassification far into the future?
Of course not.
Is it correct to say that scientists 100 years ago were wrong because they did not follow the system we currently have?
I dont believe so. I think it is unreasonable and padantic to do so!

Last edited by delerna; 04/08/09 02:56.