Time to tell my opinion.

Be careful with the Indie. Once you have it you are not allowed to resell it again. License is not transferable. I wanted to leave and get at least my money back, no way.

Be careful with what you post on their forums. Bugreports or even a wrong word gets counted as an attack at the fanproduct. Had countless battles with those guys. But i sometimes cannot be quiet, so i'm not this unguilty at this situation grin

It has also still some teething problems. Like the Editor has US Keyboard layout only. Which stopped me at the point where i wanted to modify the menu (you have to touch some code here). Especially the additional characters like brackets are at completely different locations at a Non US keyboard. But hey, now that i have moaned enough they have finaly fixed it, and the fix will be released with the next patch.

Or stuff like limited shaders. I would especially miss the splatting terrain shader. But that will surely grow over the time.

What finally stopped me using it, what's really the weak side of GC is Angelscript. Angelscript is much harder to learn and to use than Lite C. It's not only harder, it lacks of documentation and examples too. And this combination is baneful. It's like always intending the wheel from scratch. There is no place where you could have a look. Those places are not made yet. At least the manual looks a bit more complete now. But that's ways not enough.

When i started with 3DGS and Lite C it took me a week to understand the basics (A hail to the Lite C Workshops) and to make a little primitive flight simulator. Takeoff, flying, landing. Including some instruments like altimeter, horizon, speed. I tried the same in GC. And gave up after a month without to even move my plane. What i managed after this month was that i had my first battles at their forum by asking uncomfortable questions ...

I personally wouldn't touch it again. I have put it aside, and it collects dust now.

Last edited by Tiles; 04/25/09 07:09.

trueSpace 7.6, A7 commercial
Free gamegraphics, freewaregames http://www.reinerstilesets.de
Die Community rund um Spiele-Toolkits http://www.clickzone.de