Quote:

We talked about the file formats before. What has this to do with piracy, killing software companies and bugs? Me wants some of those pills you have eaten too please grin

As usual you express some reasonable opinion in a disagreable manner
So , first of all, please, calm down, ok ?

If modern game engine such as C4, DXSTUDIO ,UNITY etc do not support simple file format
If the converters to FBX are buggy
Do you seriously think that MilkShape , fragmotion etc can have a future ?

People will be forced to move to MAX , MAYA etc, since most of them can not afford them, you have got the answer

I have been using Blitz3d and 3dgs as game engines and Milkshape \ Fragmotion as packages
No problem to upload animated files
When I tried to switch to DXSTUDIO \ Unity I came across a lot of problem, using the same file
As simple as that

Having said that you can ask following question

# 1

Why are the FBX \ COLLADA converter so buggy ?

I guess it is due to te fact that these file format are very complex
If you match milkshape and Collada specifications you know what I mean

# 2

Why are they so complex ?

Because they contain a lot of information ( I repeat once again) such as shadow , light etc which are not strictly necessary for games being the responsability of the engine
An FBX file can export a complete scene
A milkShape file is supposed to export a low poly animated file only, nothing else

# 3
Do Collada \ FBX file have real advantage over cheap file format for an indie game developer
Just in case you did not notice it I have alwayes being talking about " Indie " and " games"

Not in my opinion , at least it is not so evident
99.90 % of the Indie games could make use of a Milkshape file as far as animation are concerned

In any case I would never trade off minor benefits, if any, with reliability

Last edited by AlbertoT; 05/01/09 18:43.