Quote:
One question: Will these shadows work with vertex shader based animation?

No, this is a common problem when using shader based animations. Maybe there is a way to efficiently do it, but i don't know that solution yet.

Quote:
I am wondering how you realize, that it runs that fast :P
The shaders are looking like basic cubemap pointlights...
Are you just rendering the depthmaps in different frames, which would probably be visible at lower framerates, or is there something much better?^^

Yes, it's just basic cubemapped pointlights. I also tried around with dual paraboloid mapping. Works, but it's not that good looking.
Depth is rendered in different frames, yes. So as you already said, this will only work if framerate is above a certain amount.
I'm currently working on frustum culling for the depthmap views so the near/far planes get adjusted to the camera frustrum. I hope to get reasonable speed with "real" cubemapping then.
This is really funny, you need a fast pc to render the fast lights correctly. On the other hand, if you have a slow pc, you have to use the slow method, otherwise the shadows will lag ^^ Sometimes the hard reality plain sucks grin

So again for everyone: I can't do magic! These fast shadows will only work on high framerates. But i might be able to reuse parts of this test to include it in my final point light shadow algorythm to speed it up a little. I just wanted to know if there were any major problems with the general idea behind it wink

Quote:
Can't you make a screen-space blur and add a transparency value or such?
It runs fast as hell here, too... so I am interested how it behaves if you add postprocessing.

I'm currently working on a level for the shader-contest. Here's what it's looking like at the moment with local volumetric lights, fake HDR-R, DoF, refractions, water, per pixel lighting, screen-spaced depth-based blurred shadows and some other minor things. There's still a lot of work to do for the shadows as you can see from the shots.

and one without any shaders

Before someone asks, this runs at around ~90 fps. Minium is ~70, max is ~190.

Quote:
the cubemaps are not being generated properly. This is definatley not your fault but a glitch in the A7 engine. I've already brought this problem up to their attention.

I don't know if this is a problem with A7. I remember i didn't have those problems when i first toyed around with cubemapped pointlightshadows. But i think that was because my shadow epsilon was higher than in this demo, so "bad shadows" were just clipped away. Well, if i find out whats wrong and how to fix it, i'll let you know wink

Now back to that frustum culling...

Shade-C EVO Lite-C Shader Framework