Garagegames made three big mistakes:

1. Their new flagship comes with two versions. Basic (~250 USD) and Professional (1000 USD). The Basic is useless because you dont have the source code. So it is impossible to add external libraries. But a beginner will never pay 1000 USD. GG is destroying their user base of "new blood".

2. The documentation is very very bad. A beginner will never understand the engine completely because nothing is explained very well. In my case i did a different way. I bought TGE and three corresponding books. Now i have a very good insight. This way i can switch to Torque3D without to be overwhelmed.
The three books mentioned above are only for TGE and written by a user and not a employee of Garagegames.
But what will a beginner do? He is reading the spare docs (including the Torque Developer Network) and is wondering how things work and... very important... WHY things work.

3. Most developers dont know how to create a project from scratch. Instead they use a sample application from the SDK and modify it. This results in unstructured code. This is not a way a developer should go.