Originally Posted By: Frederick_Lim
...then we group objects into packages (?), and findally we have components. I am not sure I am understand fully what he means.

In many programming languages you can find components. They are indeed some packed data and functionality. They often contain code but can also contain other resources like bitmaps, buttons or text. All this is like a black box, could even come without source in many cases. You get an interface to talk with such an component. Many of them even have real-time feedback. I worked with some very advanced ones like a complete word processor. So you can change parameters for behaviour and appearance. You can read values (like the currently selected text) or you can write values (insert a text at the current position). And then you have functionality like saving with just a single call of a method.

To make it short: A component can be very powerful while only exposing a structured and documented interface to you. It often allows to use lots of functionality in a couple of minutes.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft