When I saw this topic I first thought of a noob asking whether he should wait for some (hypothetical) A8 or buy A7 now. Some random thoughts:

- Compared to the UDK, Unity or all other engines that come into my mind, 3dgs toolset is like 1980 (like many posters already said)
- 3dgs power lies in the low learning curve (with tuts and all), but with an up-to-date toolset this could be strengthened
- Feature wise (graphics, scripting, ...) it's not "next-gen", but acceptable (though you could get some more power by using OGRE, Lua, Python, ...)
- Lua, Python, Angelscript, ... would take the lang devtime you spend into litec from you and at the same time offer more stuff to toy with for the bloody beginners (OO, threads, stackless py wink )
- Also using OGRE (or appropriate libs) whould spare time to spend on rendering because then thousands of ppl work for you for free
- Maybe instead of providing templates, provide finished minigames the users can learn from and change
- Good step in the right direction to use PhysX and to switch to openal

Just my 2 cents. 3dgs is nice for beginners, buy has too many potholes for serious, professional users.