=====
AUM 92
=====

Q: I found this nice code for a physics car, but it doesn't have a camera that follows the car. Can you help me?

Q: I would need the code for a simple bike that moves and lean as it turns.

Q: I would like to put an animated water texture inside a WAD file. How can I do that?

Q: I want to retrieve the distance between a ball and the floor and have a continuous update of its distance displayed on my screen. The ball is moving up and down.

Q: can someone show me working, tested code sample showing a sprite attached to a model?

Q: I can't figure out how to have things move towards specific entities, for example a rocket that appears and moves towards an enemy.

Q: With a "if (key_1)" instruction the player has to press 1 in order to continue. But this "key_1" only works with the "1" above the "A" (on AZERTY keyboards, or "Q" on QWERTY keyboards) and not with the 1 from the numerical keys at the right side of the keyboard. Is there a solution to make it work with the 1 above the 0 key as well?

Q: I'd like to know if the zero key was pressed and I can move the camera using the WSAD keys. Of course that I can test that by pushing the keys, but I'd like to know that just by looking at the monitor.

Q: I am not able to trigger the EVENT_SHOOT event. I'd like to have a text displayed when the moving "ent1" hits "ent2".

Q: How do I write a snippet which makes sure that a dead player doesn't react to mouse button clicks, pressed keys, etc?

=====
AUM 91
=====

Q: I started to make a little space game and I'd like to use a sprite for the engine exhaust, not particles. Can you help?

Q: How can I make c_scan to detect only a specific group of entities (for example only entities with skill14==1) and ignores all others ? SCAN_FLAG2 is perfect for that purpose, but I needed that tag for other group of entities and there are no SCAN_FLAG3, SCAN_FLAG4... unfortunately.

Q: What is the license of the models and code included in the AUM? I'd like to use them to create a commercial game and sell it.

Q: I can't create a passable entity (water) in A7; the “passable” water / terrain is handled as an “impassable” / normal floor.

Q: Can I mix *.wdl and *.c scripts in a project? I normally use the template6 *wdl scripts, but I can't find a “shader.wdl” like mtlFX.c in those templates. If I include mtlFX.c, I get lots of errors!

Q: I'd need an enemy that follows a path and if the player comes close, it starts chasing the player. When he is close enough to the player, he must shoot the player.

Q: I want to create a sprite that fades softly in when I come near it and fades out gently when I move away from it.

Q: I'd need an enemy that shoots the player and creates a health box (that can be picked up by the player) when it dies.

Q: I'm working on a high score table; how do I let the player input his name and then attach it to his score so that the score is next to his name?

Q: How do you create a mouse sensitivity snippet that allows you to see the change in real-time?

=====
AUM 90
=====

Q: I want my enemies to attack only when they can see the player. How can I calculate something like this ?

Q: I have upgraded to A7.82 but now I'm getting an error with your multiplayer Aum workshops (shooting from the wrong player). How can I fix that?

Q: I have found the cubemap rendering script at the wiki page. Can someone explain what does it do and how does it work?

Q: I have tried to add a sound to my fireplace entity, but I can't hear it. I am using this snippet:

Q: I'd like to press a key and have an animated sprite show up, go through all its frames and then disappear. The things should repeat when I press the key again.

Q: I want to have certain NPCs track the player and other objects using their heads and eyes. Should I use vertex or bone animations?

Q: I'd like to attach a rotating entity to the player, but it must perform collision detection as it rotates around the player. Can you help?

Q: Rarely, the game window goes to the background without any reason; this happens even if my game is running in full screen mode. Why is this happening?

Q: I would like to include an NPC script in my rpg level. Can anyone give me an example?

Q: I would like to know how can I get the coordinates of a point on an entity's surface that was clicked using the left mouse button.

=====
AUM89
=====

Q: The code from Aum88's Player -> Car article has a small bug: the gun can fire even if the player doesn't pick it up.

Q: I try to make a snippet that allows my enemies to respawn; when one of the enemies dies, another is created. Can you help?

Q: I use your function from Aum88's faq to detect the best resolution for my game; however, when I change the resolution by pressing the F5 key all the panels lose their positions. How can I make sure that my panels are properly aligned at any resolution?

Q: What event type do I have to choose (impact, push, etc) if I want a ball to trigger an event when it passes through a passable sprite?

Q: How can I split the big bitmap used as a heightmap for my terrain in several tiles?

Q: I've got two spheres and I would like to create a 3D line that connects them. How can I do that?

Q: How would you detect if the player is entering a certain room?

Q: How can I disable the camera movement when the user presses the zero key? And how can I enable the camera movement without having to press the zero key?

Q: Is there any way to scan all the entities and check their skills rather then stopping at the closest one?

Q: Does anyone have any suggestions for a simple gravity system that works effectively? I need the objects to fall but also be able to slide along the floor and down the slopes under the gravity's effect.

=====
AUM88
=====

Q: I am having trouble converting the enemy code in workshop 32 from C-script to lite-C. Can you help?

Q: I've made a game that runs at 1024 x 768 pixels but when I've tried it on a wide screen monitor (1440 x 900 pixels) I noticed that the image doesn't look sharp.Is there any way to restore the sharpness of the images, regardless of the resolution of the screen?

Q: I know that in C-script you could determine the width or height of characters in a particular font using the .char_x and .char_y properties. I cant find them in the lite-C manual though; has this been dropped from the language? What is the lite-C way of determining the height of a character for a font?

Q: I need an enemy that comes towards the player until it is 100 quants away from him, and then maintains that distance. Even the player runs toward it, the enemy should retreat in order to keep those 100 quants between it and the player.

Q: How can I make a circle on the ground around an entity?

Q: I am programming my weapons and I would like to know how to animate them correctly. If I keep the left mouse button pressed, the gun should animate correctly and only shoot one bullet per second. Can you help?

Q: Does anyone knows how to put a muzzle effect in front of an animated weapon model?

Q: I know how to use the ent_animate command, but I don't know how to set up the animation scenes in Med. My model has 101 animation frames; how do I set them up in order to use them with ent_animate?

Q: Is it possible to change the texture of a block in a certain area of my level?

Q: When I move the player with its face close to a wall (a BSP block) I'd like to check the wall texture and if its name is "steel", I'd like the player to turn its back against the wall automatically. How can I do that?

=====
AUM87
=====

Q: I want to make a bullet destroy itself when it hits a wall. It sounds easy but I didn't manage to make it work.

Q: I have made a platform (wmb) and the script to drive it, but the player falls through it. Is there any code which I can add to the lift script so that the player will stay on the lift and move with it?

Q: How can I make player's pan angle change depending on the position of the mouse?

Q: I have been trying to make a background picture that doesn't move. The camera is fixed; how can I use a picture that is 512 x 256 pixels so that it's behind everything all the times, stretched from 0,0 to 1024,768.

Q: I'd like to have my entities stop their animations if they aren't visible on the screen.

Q: I am trying to create a weapon that fires bullets when I click the left mouse button, but doesn't allow the player to fire a new bullet until the "shoot" animation is 100% completed.

Q: In the A5 templates there was a function called msg_show( ) that shows a message when it is called like this: msg_show("I AM AWESOME"); I was wondering if someone could create a new version that uses bitmapped fonts.

Q: I need help with creating a countdown timer that will work while the player is running, and if the timer <= 0 the player is not able to run any more. Also, the timer must recharge so that the player can run again.

Q: Does anyone know how I can make props that only animate when they get destroyed?

Q: Does anyone has an idea in implementing an entity passing through a tunnel and exiting on another tunnel? It's like a portal in Quake 3; when the player enters the portal, it'll exit somewhere else in the map.

=====
AUM86
=====

Q: Anybody knows what the lite-C equivalent of "my.oriented = on;" is?

Q: I'm trying to make a text zone, using a panel as background, and a text to show some text lines, using a ttf font. I want to show the text with "hyperlinks", that is, if the text is black over a white background, some of the text words are highlighted on blue, and so on. I think that the way to develop this is by using more text controls, depending of the number of words or lines to show. Is there an easier way to achieve this?

Q: I'd like to get started on a simple 3D breakout game. Do you have a small sample?

Q: Does anyone have a script that allows me to play a movie on a surface in a level? I would like to be able to click the surface in order to replay it.

Q: I am using the variable "PI" in my Lite-C code but get an error that says it is "undeclared identifier". Maybe I am missing some "include" to be able to use it?

Q: I'm having a problem with the menu code from Aum69. When I click on new game it gives me a notification "Empty prototype called in." The game starts and you can play it but you have to click on ok for the notice window to disappear. I would like to use this menu system as the base for my game but I have been unable to fix this notification problem.

Q: I want to make a tower defense game. How can I tell the tower to fire at the enemy with the smallest health value?

Q: I have a light switch, and somewhere else the actual light that needs to be turned on by that switch. How can I do that?

Q: If I create a string such as STRING* MyString = "Hi out there"; is there a way I can retrieve individual characters such as the letter H, and then the letter i, etc?

Q: Does anyone have a code snippet that would send one entity to the position of another entity, but also over shoot its position and correct itself? This way the entity would look like it's jiggling its position when it gets to its target position.

=====
AUM85
=====

Q: I'd like my camera to tilt when the player is going through a slope on a mountain. Can you help?

Q: How can I trap the mouse pointer in a rectangular area located in the center of the screen?

Q: How can I make it so that an entity moves for a specified number of seconds when I press a button?

Q: How can I make a sound play once as soon as a comparison instruction is successful?

Q: I want to attach the camera of my game to an object (sphere, etc) so that the camera has a physical behaviour and doesn't go through walls anymore.

Q: For my tests I'd need a snippet which, with the press of a button, writes camera's coordinates to an ini file. Then, with the press of another button, the camera would load those coordinates from the ini file.

Q: I'd like to be able to pick, move and drop an object using the mouse cursor.

Q: I have developed a small project where the player has to guess a number from 1 to 9. I can enter the code using the keyboard numbers from 1 to 9 but nothing happens when pressing the numerical keypad numbers. I have the num_lock on. Why does this not work?

Q: I'd like to have a dynamic light that can be picked up by pressing space near it and follows the player. The light should always be on, even after a level changing instruction. How can I do that?

Q: I'd like to create a mini math quiz with a text like 5 x 2 that appears on the screen. The users enter an answer and press Enter in order to move on to the following question. If they are wrong their score is decreased.

=====
AUM84
=====

Q: Is it possible to create a high precision timer for my racing game?

Q: Does anyone know a way to make an entity appear at a spot on the level where a user clicks?

Q: Is there any other way to detect entity collision other than using event_type? I'd like to track a collision only with a particular door.

Q: How can I make an entity move to the specified location?

Q: I have a car model; how do I make it follow the direction of the path smoothly?

Q: How can I make a bitmap stay full screen, regardless of the screen resolution?

Q: I wonder if it is possible to make an installer of the game I created. How can I do that?

Q: I want to have a light moving on a path. How can I do that?

Q: I'm looking for a jump-pad snippet like in Quake.

Q: How can I create a 3D menu, with 3D buttons that can be clicked?

=====
AUM83
=====

Q: I want to create a crosshair who will rotate the camera and also move around the center of the screen as I move the mouse around.

Q: Assuming you had a wmb file (a simple level) with lights in it, is it possible to programmatically change the light in the level in order to make it darker or dimmer?

Q: I want my character to play its "attack" animation whenever I press the left mouse button. How can I play the entire "attack" animation by clicking my left mouse button only once?

Q: What is the key mapping for double click? Is there any key mapping for this?

Q: Imagine a plane flying towards a destination that is out of view; I need a needle to point towards the destination. Can you help?

Q: Is there a way to scale my sky box texture (skybox+6.tga) so it doesn't get so stretched when it is created?

Q: Is it possible to have collision detection between a hmp terrain and snow particles?

Q: I want to make a particle that can rotate together with the entity that it is attached to.

Q: I have a entity that walks onto a path but I want him to move off that path when the player comes into his scan zone.

Q: I'm not sure what about the numerical scancode values that are returned on my PC. How can I check the values for my joystick?

=====
AUM82
=====

Q: I really like the collision camera from Morrowing. I tried converting it to lite-c but I'm having problems. Can you help?

Q: How do I get a mirror to be on a wall and see yourself (not a floor reflection)?

Q: How can I make a model transparent if the player is behind it (less than 60% of it is visible)? I need to make the buildings transparent if the player steps behind them.

Q: I'd like to read some names from a text file and sort them alphabetically. How can I do that?

Q: How can I create a timer that runs faster that sys_seconds? I'd like to have a clock that runs a day in 20...30 minutes.

Q: After starting my game, I can hear the music that I've placed in the level. As soon as I leave the area, the music stops abruptly. What is happening here?

Q: Is it possible to disable the window border (so that my panel is the border) and use the exit button designed by me?

Q: I'm trying to implement a simple sky-cube in a lite-C loaded level but I just can't seem to get it to work.

Q: I need the code for a level loading progress indicator in my game. Can you help?

Q: I'd like to know how is it possible to make my character visible to the camera even if there's a block between the camera and the character, blocking the view.

=====
AUM81
=====

Q: Is it possible to detect if my bouncing ball has collided with a particular wall?

Q: How i can make a weapon switch snippet?

Q: Is it possible to load skins on my entities at runtime ? What I mean to do is change the clothes on an entity at runtime.

Q: I have been trying to convert the cameras script from Aum4 with an addition from Aum7 (1st person add-on) to lite-C. Can anyone help?

Q: I want to have a bird in my game. It should move along the x axis, and when it is above the player it should drop some models on player's head, just like the enemies from Aum71 (Parallax scrolling), but for a 2.5D game.

Q: I'd like to load the desired level by clicking on its corresponding button on a panel. Can you help?

Q: Does anyone know of a snippet that allows you to touch an entity and makes a text appear? The one at au.conitec.net isn't working for me.

Q: Will somebody please give me a treasure chest action code?

Q: How can I create a metallic reflection in GameStudio?

Q: I'm trying to create a simple top down space game and I would like to have the player respawn after its death. How can I do that?

=====
AUM80
=====

Q: Is it possible to play a movie inside the level when the player comes close to a certain entity (the exit gate)?

Q: How can I generate random passwords using lite-C?

Q: I'd like to create a 2D arkanoid clone, but I hate the idea of defining hundreds of panels. Isn't there an easier way?

Q: My player model has 3 animations: "walk", "stand" and "look". I'd like it to "walk" when the movement keys are played, "stand" when it stops and "look" after a longer period of inactivity. How can I do that?

Q: I'd like my npc to move from A to B, stopping at certain points on the path for a specified number of seconds. How can I do that?

Q: I'd like to have some targets (sprites) that rotate around their pan angles when they are shot. Can you help?

Q: How can I see the c_scan range for an entity? I'd like to have some visual pointers, if possible.

Q: I've been playing Guild Wars and I have noticed that they have intelligent NPCs that walk, stop in front of walls, and then change their directions and move away. Could something similar be achieved using GameStudio?

Q: I've got the player surrounded by enemies, but I'm having a hard time trying to detect what enemy the player is facing. Can you help me please?

Q: Please give an example of showing local variables as panels over entities; there is too much confusion with this in the forum. Example: you have one action attached to all enemies and you want to see the health panel over them?

=====
AUM79
=====

Q: I am looking for a solution that allows me to check if certain entities are visible in the current camera view.

Q: What is the best way to make a simple lives system? It should start with three lives and every time player's health hits zero, one of the lives goes down and the game reloads. If no lives are left, the game should jump to a game over panel.

Q: I would like to display several parameters for my entities on the screen (for debugging purposes). Is there an easy way to do that?

Q: How can you jump with a character in lite-C? The character should jump only when he is on the floor.

Q: How can I create a convincing police siren sound effect that can be attached to my police cars?

Q: Is it possible to adjust the range of a dynamic light using the mouse wheel?

Q: I have placed invisible blocks in my level but the player is just going straight through them. Why could this be?

Q: I want to create an avatar of the player on screen, filming his face during combat. Is this possible?

Q: I'm trying to make a panel that shows me how much health I have. I want to make something like the Zelda panels.

Q: If I place a model in the level and I set its polygon flag, the collision works as expected; however, if I create the same model using ent_create and I set its polygon flag in the function that drives it, the bounding box doesn't change as expected. How can I fix that?

=====
AUM78
=====

Q: How can I detect if two particular objects hit each other?

Q: I would like to know if it is possible to put views from one or more cameras to small windows and display them on the screen.

Q: In my racing game I have an object to mark the start and goal. I want to start the watch when the player drives near it.

Q: I have a problem with A7. When I run the level after a build, no matter what script I use, the camera is messed up - it bounces all over the place. Any ideas why this is happening? I am using Windows XP with sp3.

Q: Would it be possible to automatically allocate unique ID's to each entity that is created in Wed, without it being left to the user to find a way?

Q: I'm building a quite big level, but when I want to compile it, I get the error: "Block outside level boundaries! What can i do to avoid this error?

Q: When an object is not tall (like a little box) my player just climbs on it. How can I get rid of that? I'd like to keep the player at the floor level all the time.

Q: I am using some sprites for the wheels of my train; however, the sprites are always looking at the camera. How can I fix that?

Q: Does anyone know how to put a fire particle effect behind the tail of a jet?

Q: How do I make a level take me to another level after getting a key, instead of making the entire game in one map?