Originally Posted By: Slin
But well, I basicly just hate all the hype around unity...

I feel a bit sorry for you tongue

For my case I was not much convinced of the former versions. I want to make some bigger demos and I just need good scene management (and I am not talking about some regions with the need of scripting to switch them manually on and off). This was the reason why I did not use Unity. And the shaders where not all up to date. But now I like it very much. Now I can create big worlds and I can make them as beauty as my still renders. I have the same tools (ambient occlusion, shadows, bump mapping, specularity, radiosity, volumetric lights) like in an expensive render program.

From my point of view, Unity was a tool for little casual games but now it became a professional tool for bigger projects.

Nevertheless I am sure it is not perfect, but compared to other Indie engines it is just much more feature complete.

So why should I hate it?

Let us take 2 examples:
I can make a camera flying through my level in minutes, just by using the animation editor in UDK and in Unity. Other engines need me to script some camera movement and to adjust, change script, change parameters, adjust, ... would take me days.
Another example is import. In Unity I can influence almost everything. When I see bad smoothing then I tell it to recalculate vertex normals. I change the smoothing angle and it looks like it looked in Lightwave, hard edges are hard, soft edges are soft.
In other engines I dont have smoothing angles in the import options.
I could mention a lot more.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft