Hey all,

I've been pondering around with creating environment skies. After many tries on manually painting cubemaps and unwrapping all sorts of spheres for skydomes I was still left unhappy with the results (stretched textures on various parts of the sky, or having an obvious seam visible). Finally, I created a photoshop action that maps a cubemap out of a tiling scene, which came with pretty okay results (spare my paint skills :P):

Above examples are scaled down thumbs. Size of the original scene is 4096*2048 final cubemap is 6144*1024. Sometimes there are still tiny seams visible (and 3dgs often shows a pixel edge) but this is as good as I can do.

Download spacecubes (.rar, 16MB)

View spacescene1
View spacescene2

If anyone wants to convert his scene to a cubemap post it here. But beware that your scene has to be a size of 4096*2048 or lower, else you will lose quality. The top and bottom parts are generated from 1/4th height of the top and bottom resp. of the original image, merged into a square. The middle of these parts still have a little seam but can easily be covered manually after conversion.

Regards,
Joozey

Last edited by Joozey; 09/18/10 15:50.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs