In my opinion, 3DGS made this project a challenge with the 3DGS move to Lite-C-- an odd thing to do. Anyone trying to transfer their projects to Lite-C will quickly see this fact. It crushed IX.

So often it means a simple change in syntex will stop the transfer from Wdl to LiteC. The changes often mean no benefit at all to the end user or the developer. Anyone who has worked on code knows that the smallest change can have a dominoe effect-- another reason to keep changes to a min. 3DGS.

Yeah, you can still use WDL, but your old projects will likely not work and many commands are defunct so it's not really compatible.

Also, ask why so many commercial projects were done with WDL and now almost none with Lite-C. Was it really needed? Who asked for the changes?

What attracted me to 3DGS was light mapping/BSP processes and an artpath and scripting language that were better than Torque/many others. Unity was a baby then-- only on Macs and has only recently visual culling and light maps.

Yes intense x is gone, but the shooter templates are evolving again. We'll see.
I hope 3DGS, will keep it simple. Focus on ease of use i.e. particle tools, shader tools built in, template code/scripts, etc. etc...no massive scripting code revisions.

Last edited by vertex; 09/19/10 20:19.