Sure some games include tasks that are sort of repetitive or boring. The difference is that those games tell a story, create an atmosphere and things like that. A "playground" is a pretty good description I guess as the game just drops you there and that's it. Not that being able to "build" your own objects (even if most of it is just about poorly textured cubes) is no fun at all. The disadvantage in my opinion is that it puts too much focus on the work needed to achieve that. In the end that's nothing new because games like Sim City, Civilization or Theme Park also had those elements of building things up. In the end there always was this dull feeling where you've reached a point where it pretty much is pointless to go on as you won't get anything more from a gaming perspective but just a bigger / wider / prettier graphical presentation of whatever you've build / done...

The difference to Minecraft in my opinion is that the fun factor which makes you do the work is totally removed leading you to that end point where there's no real point in continuing even faster...

Quote:
btw. does anyone know dwarf fortress?

Yes I know it but I didn't make it very far. Its design sort of is related to that of minecraft with way more interaction and the need of reaction though. I've seen some people playing this and it has its charme but it's a hell of complexity in my point of view. You have to know pretty much everything the game offers in order to react right and must get a knowledge of how laying out your world works best...

People also told me that you should scrap any visualisation despite the classic ASCII look. Quite interesting game but just as you I got initimidated pretty soon...