@Paul_L_Ming :
I agree totally ! i already talked about these things lot of times already laugh
But A8 is A8, it's not Unity or Torque 3D !
Like Dark Basic Pro is Dark Basic Pro !

A8 targets Coders mainly, beginners, kids, new comers to 3D, people targetting little games !
Not lot of people in the forum target beginning 3D art and programming after, they instead target programming before !

It's like DB PRo it's not the same target than Unity or Torque 3D ! and Unity have a big whole team behind, 3DGS or DB Pro can't fight against that with one or two programmers !
And they don't try to do as same things caus they target others people !

The main problems of A8 are :

It's not a pleasure to work with A8 :
When you have used Unity , it's hard to work back with A8 !
* You must use MED ,SED and WED, not all in one !!!
* Lot of things in Unity only need a click (apply shaders,
choose textures, models, apply simple physics ....)
* A real pleasure to make great terrains form nothing directly
in Unity
* Only one button to run your level
* Interface use is a pleasure !

- Price :
Even more with Unity having a free version ! A8 is becoming too expensive as years passes, and other big packages have more and more easy to use advanced tools and features (workflow)

- Beta for code mainly : more and more code functions
very good for coders , who will use all these functions ???
A lot of new functions are for specific user request : Even they will never make a real game !!!!

- New template took lot more than a year (and more i think) to be done frown !!!!!! It would be main priority, 3D artists and beginners !

Well, but some good steps are done with A8 in right direction to please 3D artists :
- FBX import working great and with Blender
- new Templates are coming ( i hope to see Space ship
template, flying template also !)
- new Lite C usefull libraries are coming
- More often Betas
- Physx integration
- Collision library will be using Physx

I bought A8, and i'm happy with it laugh!
I would want lot more oriented 3D artist things , but it's OK , A8 is not Unity !!!! For little games , even medium , by using clever LOD and good tips you can manage do great casual/little/medium games !

Yes Unity workflow is lot lot more fast to work with :
Texture browser, assets browser, terrain editor, physics properties, template panels all in Unity Editor,
and shaders applyable in one click !
But it's big BIG team behind !!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget even with Unity, if you're not a medium/good 3D artists then only your terrains only will be great !
(Unity gives great package of floor textures ot users)

Unity won't make 3D characters, cars and all Village , spaceships models and textures for you !

You can make great things with A8 , even if it asks more work than Unity indeed !
But do you have enought 3D skills to make something visually good even with A8 laugh ??????
Ask yourself that before asking more powerfull engine !

Last edited by ratchet; 10/26/10 19:46.