The benefit of Unity is that it can bring programemrs AND graphic artists together in a usable UI that is suited to both parties.
The engine is great and powerful, but the toolset is what makes unity really great.

I have been on these boards for quite some time. Been around since A4. In that time I learned that the downfall of 3DGS is that it is hard to work with strickly artists. It is an engine geared towards programmers, or jack of all trades (someone who is capable of doing all their own work).

Unity has a huge advantage as it is geared towards everyone.
The workflow is great for programmers and arists.

You can have an artist join your team with no knowledge of the toolset, and still they will be able to produce excellent results and get their assets working properly.
Same goes for code/programmers.

Unity isn't perfect.. But the Balance of workflows really helps move projects along.

Also, I should add that another thing that makes unity so popular is it's cross platform support. It can make great PC and mac games.. But IMO it is hard for an indie developer to be scene in the desktop gaming market. Be it free games or paid games. Success is very rare.

Unity's iPhone and android publishing makes it perfect for indies. Both markets are extremely friendly for indie developers.
There is also the ability to build games for Xbox, Ps3 and wii.. but personally I think it is rare for developers to even move to these platforms. I think these are more of a "novelty" item.. or a pipe dream wink

What conitec needs to do is create a mobile version of their engine. Something cross platform. Focusing on windows only is fine for a hobby user. But rare for developers trying to break into the saturated market.

Last edited by VPrime; 11/20/10 12:19.