Originally Posted By: carlpa
I downloaded Unity3. It is a very impressive tool for making Role Playing Games. It can do much of the work allowing one to create lovely graphics. However, the amount of "help" that a system provides is inversely proportioned to the amount of "freedom" allowed in said system. A simple example is the use of templates in GS.

An expert in either GS or Unity can create amazing games. GS provides a lot of freedom which requires a lot of graphics and programing. Unity makes those tasks easier but one must follow the "Unity" path. I doubt that I could have created my reaction time programs easily in Unity3.

Define your task, recognize one's own talent and knowledge, choose a platform and create.

You are right that some tools can make things too easy, and thus remove important functions to make more diverse games..
BUT, I disagree with you about unity vs 3dgs. IMO Unity is not any more limiting than 3D Game studio is. In my opinon after using it for a while.. I find that it is just as versatile compared to 3dgs.
The workflow just makes you think things are too easy, the work flow is just speeding up things that you waste lots of time on in other engines.

I am just curious how much time you spent with unity before coming to your conclusions? All I can say is give it a chance and learn its ways. Yes some things are different, but that doesn't make the platform any less powerful.