The Fear Factor: Horror Game Design 101

Quote:

In 1995, a friend and myself rented a top floor portion of an old binding factory in Downtown St. Louis, in which there was over ½ acre of floor space. Since I was about 11, I had been jotting down notes about creating my own haunted house, and finally my dream came true. I am going to cite the order of its design and construction as it can relate to the process of game development. Just imagine a virtual haunted house attraction and build it in 3D geometry instead of wood, drywall and steel studs. It is a great idea to carry a small pocket size notebook with you so you can jot down ideas. Alhtough designing and creating the story for the game is time consuming; time is on your side. Sometimes you wake up in the middle of night with an idea, so it is best to have a tablet and pen always handy. H.R. Giger did this - one result was the design for the 'Alien' creature. I can say I have been in the least 'inspired' by vivid nightmares and 'night terrors' as well.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links