Originally Posted By: AlbertoT
I can not share the enthusiam of the artists oriented members for this kind of stuff
What's the point of having all these advanced graphics features on a some inches iphone screen ?

But a fact is: Epic released this fantasy fighting game on iPhone and made 1.5 Mio just in the first week (on a phone!!). These graphical features are attractive to customers.

Another fact is: This works only that good because Unreal actually is a pimped up old-school engine. Shadows are baked maps. Lights (no matter how much you use) will be baked into lightmaps with some additional directional information for normal mapping and specularity effects. This way it is not that demanding. The most important feature is a good culling system to render as few as possible even with big worlds like this.

So from my point of view there are no advanced graphic features at all. There are some advanced scene management features. This should actually be more compelling to programmers than to artists wink
Anyway, they did a good job and we all have access to it. This is not a bad thing at all.

Quote:
I suppose that a game for iphone or other portable device fitted with a relatively small screen, should have an essential graphics

My latest smart phone (HTC Desire HD) has a big display (800x480) and can easily display hd videos (720) and high resolution games. Graphics are getting more and more important even on phones. I know a couple of big engines that will support phones in the upcoming months. In the end these phones will be a big market and will see game productions similar or better like seen on mobile game consoles.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft