Originally Posted By: Joey
of course I meant mercury.

Of course I understood that you meant mercury but you said that the Bohr's atom can predict its energy levels
Sorry it is a nonsense
I guess you made a confusion witn the Hertz experiment

Quote:
e... so where do you get your knowledge about quantum mechanics from? You seem to know very much about it. *hust*

From university, at 14 years old my main interest was soccer

Quote:
The model by itself does not provide any explanation for the energy levels

It does.
No it doesn't

Why did you not try to better support your opinion instead of making childish issues ?
Anyway

A mass of hydrogen , same as any other elements, can only absorbs or emit radiation having certains frequencies
The set of fequencies being known as the spectrum of the elemet
At the time it was also well known that :

E = h * f

whereas E is the energy of the photon of the radiation and f its frequency
According to Rutherford's experiment , electrons should orbit about the nucleus
Bohr put the above experimental evidences together
He said
Well there are some energy levels : e0 - e1 - e2 ...en which are stable despite classic electromagnetism
Electrons can jump only from one of these state to an other one, absorbing or emitting a photon whose energy is the difference between the final and the initial energy level
All the other energy levels are forbidden to the electron
Why ?
He did not provide any explanation

The explanation came from the Schrödinger's equation
The solutions of the equation for the atom of hydrogen prove that the energy levels associated with its spectrum are the only ones which allow a stable configuration

However Schrödinger thought that electrons were waves
If so, you can have an intuitive rappresentation of the stable configurations of the electrons

Further experiments and theoratical analysis refuted such interpretation in favour of a probabilistic interpretation

In conclusion
Electrons are particles in perpetual motion about the nucleus even though they dont follow the Newtonian laws

Last edited by AlbertoT; 01/09/11 09:25.