G'day!

I have two requests.

It'd be really cool to be able to preload models, sounds, levels, bmaps, and even arbitrary files in the background, over many frames (like how the http_ functions let the game continue while it waits for data). This could lead to huge levels that are loaded dynamically and all sorts of cool stuff. I imagine it could be used something like this (based on the http example code):
Code:
var id = load_asset("massivelyComplexEnt.mdl");
while (!load_ready(id)) wait(1);
if (load_ready(id) == 1) { // load successful?
	levelReady = 1; // global var to notify everyone the next room is ready
	ent_create("massivelyComplexEnt.mdl", nullvector, roomSetupAction);
} else {
	error("BIG MISTAKE!");
}

Unless, of course, is there already a way to safely do this with our own threading? An additional function to check if an asset has already been loaded or is in the process of being loaded would also be fantastic, but that kind of thing we can manage ourselves. Something like:
Originally Posted By: Imaginary Manual
load_status(var id)
Returns information about an asset's place in memory:

2 asset has already been loaded
1 asset is being loaded
0 asset has not been loaded

My second request is an option to not load the level anew when using session_connect or session_open (or any other session_ functions that require it). I guess this has to do with synchronising entities between sessions, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who sets dplay_entrate to -1 and synchronises everything manually with the send_data_ functions. It'd be nice to set a variable or something for these situations so levels don't need to be loaded again, and then use the session_ functions as we please without having to re-initialise levels. If you've played Burnout Paradise, a very cool features was that you could connect to a game and drop out of it without interrupting your driving, since it was all one big world, and all it had to do on the client side was synchronise a few players, and then remove them when you disconnect.

Thanks for reading laugh

Jibb

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!