Quote:
Preloading files will not magically remove all the ent_create time. The engine loads files very fast and buffers them in a cache anyway, so you won't gain this much time with a preload process.

Creating entities is a very different process than file loading.
Exactly. That's exactly why we can't do this ourselves, and why this discussion is still going on in the Future forum.
Quote:
You can see such a concept in the infinite terrain demo that creates ten thousands of entities in a second.
Yes, because they're all very simple. The number of the same entity is almost inconsequential. In my tests I used a cube with an enormous texture -- in this specific case it's only the texture that causes the delay, and that'll often be the case as these days one entity will often have many skins. If I change my test to ent_create the same model again after the first one is created, there's no delay for the second entity.

It's this first-time-creating, behind-the-scenes stuff that we can't do anything about that could surely be done in the background with an engine function.

Even if "pre-loading" isn't going to do what we want, I thought the intention of this request was made very clear, if not from my first post then from subsequent responses from everyone else.

Jibb

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!