Quote:
What we're trying to explain to you is that all preloading functions you can have are already there. You're probably the 500th user who asks on the Future forum for some solution to overcome load delays, and over the years we implemented many functions and methods for that. Just look for "preload" in the manual.
One would think you'd be better at answering the question by now, then. One would also think a search for "ent_create" or "load" in the Future forum would yield examples.
Quote:
Only thing you need to understand is that at some time, textures must be loaded and meshes must be created. You can not prevent this, you can only control when it happens.
This is obvious, and the least relevant piece of information in a thread that is breaking world records for number of mentions of "thread". No one cares how slow an algorithm or function is if it can be threaded. So it's about time you said it can't be.
Quote:
The delay itself can not be affected by a 3D engine - not matter how often you demand this here. It's the texture loading to the 3D card, and happens in the DirectX driver and on your hardware.
This is your first such mention. Seriously, whenever a request is made for something you can do nothing about, say so. Far out. How are we meant to take your answers seriously if you're generally vague, dismissive, or ignoring requests that still haven't been addressed (multiplayer). I understand that the difference between an engine programmer and an engine user means the intention of this discussion wasn't clear to you until a few posts back, but once you get that understanding it makes sense to address the question with "This is done in DirectX and cannot be threaded" instead of losing your cool. From the get go we've said we either want to thread this ourselves or for you to thread it.

Given that it can't be done, I'm sure we'll figure out for ourselves how so many games with huge assets load them without delay.

Jibb

EDIT: Since you edited your cool back into your post, please re-read mine with a laugh at the end of every sentence, and ignore any suggestion that I might be frustrated.

EDIT2: By the way, that's not sarcastic. I really am all chill now having read version 2.0 of your post laugh

Last edited by JulzMighty; 05/26/11 17:13.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!