I wouldn't say that C and C++ has its own naming convention. Its more like with the different syntax styles, some like K&R more, some other like the Allman style more.
The default libraries use underscores for functions and types, but caps for defines (ERRNO for example).

Originally Posted By: Joozey
Common practice is to use names that are gramatically correct and clear: create_entity rather than ent_create.

I guess ent_create came from the idea to have a three letter abbreviation as prefix, we have also snd_create and such things. I guess the idea was to have an convenient way to do things.

But since 3dgs doesn't follow that convention, it might be a wiser decision to follow 3dgs' choice anyway.

No. Functions have to be verbose, they have to tell one what they do. This saves one from going to the manual over and over again, you just need an idea of what you want and how it might be named, and you will most likely find it right away.
But thats just my personal preference and it was really hard with SED to have this style because it lacked code completion. Luckily we have LED now which makes it really easy to work with heavy verbose libraries like Lite Foundation.

every programmer should built likewise on his own as he goes laugh.

Yes, couldn't agree more. There will always be things that one doesn't like without doing it on its own. But Lite Foundation can also be used in such cases, eg. one could remove classes (or all classes) that one don't like and work with the runtime directly. Or remove the runtime and rewrite it from scratch while still having the default classes.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com