Originally Posted By: Kitsu
i would prefer multiplatform support instead of dx11
especially with the power of lite-c gamestudio would gain a bunch of new customers i think

What is that "power" you see behin Lite-C? I fail to see this being an all selling feature. Sure it's not crap but let's do the comparison to e.g. Unity. There you have Javascript and C#. Both more or less are general and popular languages (although as I understand it Unity's Javascript has minor differences) with great editors available and of course lots of good documentation and tutorials. This also covers one sort of easy language and one more advanced language. In terms of difficulty / complexity I don't see Lite-C being too far away from something like C#...

That's why I don't see the benefit (and Unity isn't the only engine out there offering an easy script language and a more complex C language be it C# or C++). I actually tend to see Lite-C as a disadvantage for 3DGS. In my opinion it would have been better to introduce an easy scripting language rather than creating Lite-C and leave the option for e.g. C++ for the pros. Especially as 3DGS tends to be an engine for newbies and lone wolves this probably would have been the better choice in the long run. Well sure there were things like that Atari cooperation but I have to say I never heard anything at all concerning Lite-C and Atari besides the initial news about the partnership...

Concerning DX11 for 3DGS I actually tend to agree with jcl. It's nice to have but currently of no great importance (even AAA usually titles don't feature it recently and don't count in stuff like AVP 3 or Crysis 2 where the DX11 support is barely existant and consists pretty much of "We use tesselation here and there")...