I played the Demo too and can subscribe all of the critics.
I was very disappointed of how so many elements that showed potential were not or just barely (and badly executed) used, such as the humor, (only the third time in my long lasting gamingtime, that I turned off the sound, because the speakers voice was scouring unconvincing and fastly annoying, and to concentrate on the other elements of the game) the graphicstyle (The downloadreason and still a great idea) is too repetive and plain in execution, the sound in general sounding cheap,
and most annoying: enemies penetrating walls (and killing me this way), enemies resistant to attacks some rare times and being unescapeable stuck.

Long thing in short: I was hot to buy it, but after playing the Demo (several times) I will never do.

Also some attitude makes me wondering...

Quote:"you have the option to shut off the pixelation effect inc ase your eyes hurt."
A: Its all the Whiteout, thats cause the irritation and tireing of the eyes (and headache of others, I had none)

Quote:"the mistkae here is that NONE of you (well, maybe one or two of you) cared to read the wiki. i packed in three links to the wiki for you to read before playing the game, and you didnt care."
A: I think it is the wrong way of speaking of "mistake" to someone, who just wants to play a game. Only the desinger makes the mistakes to not make it accessible and simple enough. I (A little simple I-play-in-my-rare-spare-time-player)dont want to read a wiki. I dont even want to read a phoukheoun Manual (except for more complex games as roleplay or RTS-Games). I want the game to take me by the hand and show me, where the fun begins, where it evolves, where it reach its peak, and finally ends. A complete Whole, a satisfying experience, worth to go throug a second time just because of the pure and accessible Joy.
Everything else wastes the players time and does rarely much for the game or the experience itself.

Besides, many AAA-titles also lack the descripted above (sadly).

Quote:"furthermore, NONE of you (and believe me, i know that, i keep track of who buys the game) bought the final game that has not only the story explained, some bugs fixed AND hints at what to do next)."
A:The Demo should show the Games full potential, not vice versa...

Quote:"so what i get from your rants, and frankly, those are rants, is that you would not buy quake nowadays because it plays like crap. and donÄt tell me that quake played better than grutns because it didn't. i have just recently played it and it es far worse than grunts."
A: Well, I wouldnt call it a very questionable statemant, but for me, Quake 1 and II was one of the best well-oiled Controls-Leveldesing-Gameplay-Machines until Half-Life 2 raised the max-level.
You cant never compare GRUNTS with Quake except for that you shoot at something egoperspectively.

Quote:"see, what I learned from all of this,"..."is that i simply expect too much from my customers. i expect them to actually think for a second before they start playing. i expect them to read the provided information and just think about what the game delivers. that is the biggest mistake i made."
A:Its not about, what you expect from the player (or costumer, if more valuable for you), its again vice versa.
Its what a player expects from you. It is your task as a designer to find excatly that out and create a media, that combines your personal ideas with concepts fitted and adapted to the expectation of the audiences of whatever kind of media.
And at the very front of everything, the player wants to be entertained, and good entertained.
Everything else has a secundary grade and must be "smuggled" to the player, WHILE he is playing the game, even if it is, to let the player start question things to think about them and make them change their point of view on different or even fundamental things the game brings up to the player.
But saying nothing else as thats the player is too stupid to see the goodness\greatness of a game is... not as good as a lot of sales.

Quote:"i made the mistake of thinking my customers actually have a brain."
A:Well, after all I wrote, I think this statement is quite self explaining. I doubt that this would be a wise strategy to treat (potential) costumers and increase the sales.
Respect for the Audience is fundamental and the only thing thats even higher than the priority to entertain.

This is meant constructive and free of any negative emotions.