Probably something is wrong on your end. We are using it daily, I released dozens of packs already on their asset store and programmed 2 little games. I imported tens of thousands of models and textures in DAE and FBX, with and without animations.

Originally Posted By: Liamissimo
I bought a model from Turbosquid ...

So you base your experience on one model from Turbosquid, maybe exported with a bad FBX tool? I tested FBX files coming from Lightwave, Modo, Ultimate Unwrap 3d and from many of our artists working with Max and Maya. They all worked, without an exception, old FBX versions as well as newer ones. We have very old files here and they still import into Unity.

Quote:
Okay, the whole model was black, even if Unity at least showed me the right texture in the "Inspector" on the left side. The animation was named "Take 001" instead of "fly".

First it can be that the diffuse color of the model is black. Change it to white or grey and you will see the texture, that has been already applied automatically.
I guess this is another problem with your FBX.

Also when we split an animation in UU3D into several sequences and name each sequence then all these names and sequences transfer via FBX into Unity. We have all animations already split in one file, perfect and easy workflow. Even Blender can save such sequences in a FBX file.

Quote:
Unity crashes while moving the camera upwards,...

This is no usual behaviour. It must be a problem on your side. I use it daily and there are hundreds of thousands of developers using it regularly. Most of our customers at Dexsoft are Unity users.
A mere movement of a camera cannot crash it unless there is something badly wrong with your drivers or with your installation.

Quote:
I opended up MED. Chose FBX Import. Selected my Model. Imported it. Skin...Check! Animation...Check!

I am sure, MED does not split the animation automaically into sequences, it also cannot recalculate vertex normals with a smoothing angle of your choice and it does not optionally merge similar materials (using the same diffuse texture).

So really, when working with a hundred models in a pack, it does not just work. It would take me a couple of days in 3DGS. But in Unity I put everything in a folder and let Unity do the work in minutes. I can even create an editor script to re-scale all models during import at once.

And when it comes to serious programming then object oriented code will lead to less code in the end. It might look like you type a couple more letters in the beginning, but later, when you have a more complex system it will be a time and a code-saver.

Originally Posted By: bart_the_13th
Yeah, Unity su*ks, especially if you get a hang on 3DGS for a long time. Shadow baking takes forever even on simplest scene.

This depends on your system. On a multi-core system like mine I could bake shadows for a complete level with several sci-fi corridors in just minutes. It takes more time when you change your rendering options to max of course. You have to chose quality setup and texture size as well as your second uv-set wisely of course.

Quote:
Material importing can(or always) get messy, you need to assign each texture to material and you got no clue "which texture is this material".

Then something is wrong with your model. When I copy 100 files into a project folder, they all appear correctly with materials and textures applied. All textures using bricks01_d as an example get (optionally) merged to a single material. This is extremely helpful and optimizes rendering in the end. I only drag normal maps to each material, change spec values and a new Unity package is done.

I made models, textures and maps for different engines like Unity, 3DGS, Torque, C4, Leadwerks, Lawmaker, Neoaxis, Vision3d, Irrlicht and UDK. I often got paid for projects like that and dealt with hardcore-users of these engines. We have a customer support at Dexsoft and get feedback from different users. So this is quite some unbiazed information I can give you.
And yes, there is no doubt, that Unity has the best automated workflow. Even the big ones like Vision and UDK cannot beat that. There are things for critics when you compare with Vision3d or UDK, especially when it comes to performance, but the import workflow and the mere number of options and tools is the highlight of Unity.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft