Originally Posted By: Error014
do you believe in democracy as a system? Do you think it can work? Or do you feel that people in general are not educated enough to participate in this way, that the system is doomed to fail or at least to bring bad results due to people's inability or outright disinterest in politics?

I believe democracy in it's ultimate form would definitely be a failure, but I think everyone knows that.

Democracy is a good thing, but like any good thing I believe that it should not be applied excessively to any given problem. I do not believe that the US's current level of democracy is appropriate, but I do not believe that it should be anything less than it has ever been.

@LC: Your idea is interesting because it brings up an important fact: the USD used to represent a very minute share in the United States gold supply. In fact, before the gold standard was dropped, you could walk into any bank and demand your money in gold, and they would give it to you.

This is important because gold, unlike a piece of paper, has real value. There are far reaching consequences to that fact, the most important one being that there's no such thing as "funny money" when you're trading in a real substance.

So my solution to the problem you mentioned is similar to your own: to readopt the gold standard on a national level. Unfortunately it's not likely that this will ever happen since the US is in an incredible amount of debt right now and the amount of money in circulation is not nearly proportionate to the amount of gold the US really owns.

Last edited by Redeemer; 11/04/11 22:23.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!