It's still active. Maybe they had server trouble when you tried.

To anyone who plans on using Divx, be sure to take note of its license restrictions. You can use it for free for personal use or for indie filmmaking purposes, but if you want to use it in a commercial work to encode ingame cutscenes or even trailers/video demos for public viewing, then it looks like a fee is involved. Don't forget to include an installer to place the codec on the user's machine if you go with it. I wonder if they have a free usage policy for indie game development?

Don't forget to double check any freeware or open source software you use to make sure it is all right to use in commercial products.

@MOD: Please remove the "..free" part on the Divx line. Also, after Motek Entertainment, please add the follow. Please, be sure to include the URL tags:

TikiWiki - free
osCommerce - open source online shop e-commerce software...free

Finally, if it's all right with Conitec, perhaps making this a sticky thread would be beneficial for newcomers or as a quick reference to others.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links