Quote:
Its the same with a movie ticket or a trainride. You cant use it and sell it afterward to someone.
You also cant morally claim, just bacause the train or theater is empty that you can invite all your friends with your single tickets for the ride.
Sure, you can pick and choose your analogies, but I don't think one-time events (you pay for a ticket for a particular train ride, or a particular movie session) are a good comparison. A car is a much better comparison, since the customer can use it whenever they want and, when they sell it, can no longer use it (perhaps a little naive, but this is generally true for console games, where most of the debate lies anyway).

I understand the difference between owning a product and having a license to it, so let's do away with the used cars comparison as well -- even though the very reason we get licenses to software and not actual ownership is so that distributors can sell games like cars and then have legal grounds to sue pirates (but why stop someone from selling their license?).

Anyway, let's consider used DVDs instead. Much more similar to used games. This is common practice -- rental stores sell some of their older DVDs when there's less demand for them. Or let's go back to your book comparison ("You also don't own the text when you buy a book") -- I've never heard of an outcry against used-book sales, even though they are quite common.

Regarding cost-per-hour, how much is Killing Floor? My brother has at least 100 hours invested in that game. Incredible value. And I hear a lot of people sink similar hours into Skyrim. The cost-per-hour thing makes me more inclined to buy multiplayer games, since good ones usually last much longer than most single player games.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!