JCL should have invested in at least one programmer who was 100% focussed on Gamestudio. The fact that there isn`t any development speed at the moment (and to be honest I believe that Conitec hasn`t even seriously started working on a new WED and the Android/Linux/Mac port) snaps the engine`s neck in my eyes.
Yes, you can achieve nice things with Acknex. And Süpercan is a real project. Cool things are possible. But I`m sure that with Torque 3D or maybe Unity (I havn`t experience with Unity) many people could have achieved so much more on their current knowledge level.
The truth is: To make really great, modern things with Acknex on a professional level you need to be a both a professional programmer and designer. You must know how to efficiently program shaders, how to program your own collision system better than the one from Gamestudio, how to program your own MDL-exporters for your tools, pathfinding, physics plugin extensions, advanced user interface solutions, maybe some ingame editor functionalities, and other stuff while comparable engines come with a WYSIWYG editor, a shader editor, working direct model importers, a better collision system, a pathfinding solution, advanced physics plugins and much more. And they come with an open forecast list and things like editor stuff is widely discussed.

The sad thing about this is that we had many good community solutions for missing features. But Conitec isn`t interested in supporting them and/or making them official. Intense Pathfinding was a good and working pathfinding solution with user interface extension for WED. The project is dead.
Shade-C could have been so much more and comes with "make your shader" functionalities. Project is as good as discontinued.
The Newton-Wrapper used to be great, too.
The Blender exporter.
And there`s so much more.

Garage Games with the Torque engine for example activly supports user projects. Some of them even can be downloaded on the Torque homepage for some money and are officially supported.

I like Gamestudio. I really do. But if Conitec continues like this, I don`t see the old days coming back.