@txesmi:
Neat! How many of those hexagonal grids are there? What kind of variety is there?
In the video, there didn't seem to be TOO many differences, which I understand is due to the early work-in-progress nature of it. But what kind of changes in the tiles can we expect in the full game?

(Also, are the enemies' names randomly generated? :D)

--

@ratchet:

This game was started and worked on for quite a while in A6. I've since ported it to A8 and lite-c (quite an undertaking, but it was worth it); but it means that some things are done differently to how I'd do them knowing what I do know and if I were to start that project from scratch in Lite-c. To answer your question, the dungeons are pieced together via simple "tile"-models (there's one for walls, and one for the floor tiles, as well as a few additional models), whose skins are changed according to what tile it is.

The dungeons are created by the user in their browser. Here's an old screenshot of that. Once that's done, you piece the rooms together to form Dungeons in the Dungeon Editor (click for shot). These Dungeons are then selected by the server and sent to the Client so you can play them!
There's all kind of stuff to place - Tiles, sure, but also enemies, decorational items (such as trees or grass), Treasure chests, Buttons and laserbeams for puzzles, Rotating platforms... We're still adding those kind of things right now. If you have any ideas, freel free to share (and understand that you grant us the license to use them without paying you ever ;))

Right now, the only shader-like effect we're using is for reflective ice tiles (an effect that can, of course, be switched off). Everything else is done without any shaders. The lighting visible in the shots is, for instance, all done by hand using the bmap_ and pixel_-instructions for rather small "lightmaps" that are then filtered. The generation of that map isn't noticeable as it is, so I'm not too worried about speed (though I may still add some improvements in speed to it) laugh

The game supports joysticks and gamepad, and the standard button layout is for a 360-pad. But it only supports them via the joy_-instructions, so no support for the big button in the middle (though I can't think of any game that supported that one, actually!)

Once more, thanks a lot for the feedback and encouragment! laugh
Means a lot to us - the final stretch of game creation can be pretty tough!

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!