Steam's coming to Linux, and there's already been talk on these forums about the upcoming Unity 4, but surprisingly little discussion about the fact that it will also support Linux.

Both of these will be fantastic for the growth of Linux gaming, which was already well-worth a developer's time anyway (as we've discussed too many times already). This also shows that Valve and the Unity team see its value.

Given we already have jcl's final word on this, I think it'd make sense to move this to the Game Business forum for further discussion about the viability of other platforms and what effects those platforms have on the developer.

@ratchet:
Originally Posted By: ratchet
Why im' against Linux/Apple ...
It needs lot of code rewrite and OpenGL also.
Ratchet, this has already been discussed and addressed:
Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
In short, given the editors don't need to be cross-platform, and an OpenGL renderer of sorts is already in the works for Android, I believe the compiler is probably the only real obstacle between Windows-only GS and "PC gaming" GS.
They already have (or are already working on) OpenGL for GS in some capacity. Perhaps the compiler side will be quite some work, but the very fact that you mentioned OpenGL as an obstacle to this request suggests you have little interest in the discussion that has already happened.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!