Quote:
That would force people to repeatedtly press quick save and quick load, which is no fun at all either. You simply can't do that - it is discouraging people.
While quick save and quick load are staples of the standard FPS, they can simply be removed for hardcore mode. Or, when on hardcore mode, those options are immediately disabled upon death. Diablo 3 (a LONG game, from what I've heard) has a hardcore option, so why can't FPS games?

Also, check out the "roguelike" genre, where permadeath is part of its awesomeness. There's no reason a stealth-focused or shooter-focused first-person approach (or both) can't be brought to procedurally generated permadeath games.

But I think what we're missing is Error014's actual question, which was probably prompted by the (relatively) many FPS games coming up in the "What are you working on?" thread, and was directed towards the developers behind those projects: Why are you doing it? And similarly: what makes yours different from the many, many others out there?

EDIT: Left 4 Dead! How could I forget? Perfect example of a FPS with permadeath. Although I guess not "tactical" in the traditional sense -- playing against baddies who also have guns. But that's a perfect place for someone to step in and make something innovative, and would be a great answer to Error014's questions if a GS user was actually making that game.

Last edited by JibbSmart; 07/24/12 09:26.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!