=====
AUM93
=====

Q: I'd like to have a countdown timer that shuts down the game after 10 minutes of play. Can you help?

Q: I'd like to adjust the frame rate through a slider on a panel, thus increasing and decreasing the navigation speed in my level.

Q: Is there any chance to have a door scan its surroundings and slide horizontally when the player approaches it?

Q: I started to work at a racing game and I'd like to have a car selection screen, where the player uses two buttons to go through all the available car models.

Q: Did anyone use the string1 and string2 strings from within Wed? I'd like to see a simple example, if possible.

Q: I'm looking for the easiest way to make drop shadows, that you can see in various games under the characters.

Q: I don't know if this is covered anywhere, but how do I make the number pad keys (2, 4, 6, 8) control player's movement?

Q: How can I create a health bar for my player character?

Q: I'd like to have a camera that can rotate around the player whenever I want it to. Player's movement would be done using the WSAD keys and the camera rotation would be done using the OP keys.

Q: Is there a way to keep a particle under a moving entity? I have fire that pushes out the bottom of my entity, but when the entity moves, the particles stay were they were created, leaving a trail of fire behind.

=====
AUM94
=====

Q: Is it possible to render a view on a target like a model, a texture or a bmap? I'd like to use that as a mirror, for example.

Q: Is there a way to cut a view into a circle? I'd like to use that for cartoon-style cut scenes, and rectangular views are looking boring after a while...

Q: How can I make to so that my level blocks change their shadows dynamically using sun_light and sun_color ?

Q: I need to display an image when my player touches an object. How do I achieve this? Any example would be helpful.

Q: Can anyone give me a tutorial about making a text box? I need to use a text box in order to ask for player's name.

Q: I would like to know how to make clouds using particles.

Q: I'd like to create a day / night sky system that changes in real time. Can anyone help?

Q: Is there a way to check if a certain entity was found using c_scan? There is only one "you" pointer and when I have several entities in the level, I can't tell if the entity I'm interested in was detected or not.

Q: How can I place a panel over an entity in my game? I can't use pos_x = entity.x it because when the position is 2500 the panel is out of my screen.

Q: I have several panels with individual pointers and I need to change their position uniformly. Is there any way that I can write one function to group them together so that I don't have to write a separate pos_x / pos_y for each panel?

=====
AUM95
=====

Q: I am trying to build a rocket that increases its speed until it reaches a certain value. Then, it should stop doing that and continue to fly at its current speed.

Q: Could you please fix "Booker" from Aum72? It doesn't work fine with A8; I get an empty pointer error and the books' info isn't saved to the disk.

Q: Can you show me how I can create a mini map of a level? I'd like to have a circular view that shows the player in the center of the mini map. When an NPC comes into view the NPC shows up on the mini map as well.

Q: I'd like to have an enemy with a sword that damages the player when the sword gets in contact with player's body.

Q: I'd like to have two panels that stay in the left / right upper corners of the screen regardless of the video resolution.

Q: How do I make the player collide with the walls and not pass through them? I'm not sure where to start.

Q: How can I attach a weapon to one of my soldiers?

Q: I want to have my player leaving a trail behind everywhere he changes direction. How can I accomplish this using the particle system?

Q: I need to know how to open a door if the player has got the security card.

Q: Please help me make a panel fade in and out. I have a main menu and buttons; when I press a certain button, I'd like the main menu to fade out and another panel to fade in.

=====
AUM96
=====

Q: How can I display strings and numbers on a panel?

Q: I'm making a 2.5D sidescroller game and I'd like to have an enemy that shoots towards the player if it comes close enough to it. How would I do this?

Q: I am making a small simulator with a 2d top down view (country map and sea). What is the best way to implement zoom in / out using the mouse scrolling wheel? I'd like to have 5 levels of zoom: max, 3 intermediary stages, min.

Q: I want to create several models faster and faster, but I can't do it. Can anyone help?

Q: I need to create models in random positions, but I can't get this to work.

Q: I'd like to have an UFO hover above player's head, dropping bombs when it manages to get right above it. Can you help?

Q: I use a separate VIEW* for my cut scenes. I'd like this view to activate and point towards an entity (a spaceship) 3 seconds after the player has come close enough to it. How can I do that?

Q: I want to create a car that has its wheels attached at runtime. How can I do that?

Q: How can I remove a button from a panel after I've clicked it? I only need to press it once.

Q: I'd like to have a looping soundtrack in my main menu. When the player presses a button, the loop should fade out and the game should start.

=====
AUM97
=====

Q: Is there any way to enter some text in Wed's behavior panel using comment tags?

Q: I would like to know how to terminate all particle and shaders functions before changing the level.

Q: I'm creating a racing game. How can I create smoke particles that are positioned near the exhaust pipe?

Q: I have several panels with buttons on them. When you click on a button, a new panel with buttons should appear. But after the first panel's buttons are clicked, the subsequent panel's buttons do not respond at all. Can you help?

Q: How can I make a countdown timer that will turn into red if its near the end?

Q: How can I make the player return to its initial position when it is eaten by the enemy?

Q: I'd like to have my enemies change their colors to red when the player is coming very close to them.

Q: How can I compare two objects based on their rank? I'd like the one that has a bigger score to win.

Q: I need to display an image when the player touches an object. How do I trigger this?

Q: I have noticed that the memory usage for my game is always increasing (I'm using Windows' task manager to track it). Why do this happen and how can I fix it?

=====
AUM98
=====

Q: How can I make a simple AI which triggers an event when it is near a specific model or the player?

Q: I am trying to create a virtual dice. I got 6 pictures resembling the numbers of the dice; how can I show them in a random way for 5 seconds, and then stop at one picture?

Q: How do I randomize questions in Gamestudio? I've got 5 different questions and want them to be randomly displayed when a button is clicked.

Q: Can anyone tell me how I cant prevent the camera to show the inside of my model, when i use a gun in the view like a FPS?

Q: How do I set health/hitpoints for enemies? Let's say there are 3 types of enemies in my map; I want all zombies to have 75 health, all mutants to have 100 health and all terrorists to have 125 health.

Q: I can not figure out how to stick an object to the camera so that it stays in front of a camera wherever I go.

Q: Does anyone have a snippet for an input box with "Cancel" and "OK" buttons?

Q: I need a function that removes bitmaps from the video memory. I need to display many panels in my level and I'd like to free the memory after using them.

Q: Would you have an idea on how to make a menu that changes its size automatically depending on the resolution of the resolution using scale_x, scale_y?

Q: Is it possible to interact with a panel that's placed on top of a patrolling entity? I'd like to be able to click a boss enemy and open a menu.

=====
AUM99
=====

Q: I'm looking for an auto game save snippet; when the player reaches a certain point in the level, the game saves, and if the player dies, he starts again at the save point, and not at the beginning of the level.

Q: I want to check if a video is still being played. Is there any way to do this?

Q: I used ent_create to attach a flare to a key model, so that player can find the key easier in the level. Now I want to remove the flare as soon as the key model is removed. Is there any way to do this?

Q: I am working at a racing game based on the car template and I'd like to have my cars rotate (change their pan) in a car selection screen, but only do that while they are touched by the mouse. Can you help?

Q: I'd like my camera to follow the player at all times, changing to a camera that rotates around slowly, showing the nearby areas, if the player doesn't move at all for 10 seconds. How can I do this?

Q: Do you have an example for a door that opens automatically (sliding vertically) when the player approaches it and closes automatically when the player has moved away from it?

Q: I'd like to have a weapon which fires bullets that don't disappear, but bounce from wall to wall indefinitely.

Q: In my game, the users have profiles to write their data; what should I do with these profiles when I publish my game? If I put them in the wrs file I can't change them anymore, and if i put them out of the wrs file, the users can change them to anything that they want to. Is there any way to solve this problem?

Q: I need a piece of code that will display a sphere made out of particles for my Star Wars clone. What is an easy method to create that?

Q: I'd like an example of code that starts playing a soundtrack and after a specified interval fades it out, while at the same time fading in a new soundtrack, just the way they do it at radio stations.

=====
AUM100
=====

No questions here

=====
AUM101
=====

Q: I have a text file with strings like this:

string11,string22
string33,string44

I would need a snippet which reads the text file, switches the columns keeping the data intact, and then writes them to a new text file like this:

string22,string11
string44,string33

Q: Can someone give some help with the VIEW commands since the manual is quite lacking here.

Q: Does anyone have a lite-C version of the Serious Grass code from Aum58?

Q: I want to have an in-game menu that is toggled on / off by pressing the "T" key. Can anyone help?

Q: I would like to use up to 8 gamepads in a single application. Is this possible without using a dll?

Q: I am not sure what I did, but my player model floats up off the map; I can still move it as if it were on the map, though. Anyone has any idea what might have caused this?

Q: I have a tent model has a lamp next to it (part of the same entity). I'm using lightrange and ambient, but I would like the light to come from the lamp, rather than the origin of the model (the tent).

Q: Is it possible to export from Gamestudio to Excel? I would like to write my inventory program in lite-C.

Q: I have a variable var money = 1234567; I need to show this number on a panel like this: 1,234,567. Is it possible to show the number with its digits separated by commas?

Q: Can anyone show me a simple algorithm for camera shaking?

=====
AUM102
=====

Q: I have a problem with an weapon code from the Aum; it waves as the player moves, but when the player stops the gun will stop at a different position every time.

Q: How do I set up a piece of code, so that when I close the game using Esc it saves the current date to a text file automatically?

Q: Anyone knows where I can download free sky cubes?

Q: How can I pass a variable into an action like I would with a function?

Q: I would like to have a button that toggles my game from full screen to window mode and back. How can I do that?

Q: Is there a simple way to trigger an event when a mouse button is released?

Q: I need the code for an NPC that rotates towards the player at all times, rotating gently until it reaches the final position. Can you help?

Q: I would like to play several sounds randomly, but I don't want them to overlap - is this possible?

Q: I would like to congratulate the player at the end of the level, displaying a bunch of "congratulations" messages. Is there a quick way of doing that without having to create lots of panels, etc?

Q: I would like the player to be attacked only by the enemies that are closer to a certain distance to it. How can I do that?

=====
AUM103
=====

Q: I would like my top view camera to point towards any entity I'm touching with the mouse pointer.

Q: Does anyone know of a lite-C script for a mini camera? The camera would be fixed somewhere in a level and the movie would be shown at a screen somewhere else at the level.

Q: I would like to get and display the xyz position of an object in a room, on which i am pointing with my mouse cursor. Hope you can help me.

Q: How can I show an entity skill on a panel? I've tried with digits, but it didn't work.

Q: How can I scroll a text that's displayed above a panel? The text is larger than the panel.

Q: How can I make a sprite appear on a key press? The sprite needs to fade in.

Q: How to make a sphere model be filled with mist?

Q: With c_scan, I can only scan static lights... how can i scan for dynamic lights?

Q: I would like to be able to set the colors for the cars in my racing game by clicking them, and the choosing one of the options from a menu.

Q: I'd like to have a ball that moves freely in the level and kills all the enemies that it is touching.

=====
AUM104
=====

Q: I am trying to find a simple example of a working health bar code for the player and an enemy

Q: I would need a teleport, an entity that teleports you to another place in the level when you walk on it.

Q: I am writing variables to a file via file_var_write and need to play them back in real time the exact same way they were recorded. The problem is that every time I try to do this it always seems to be a little faster on the playback; is there any way to fix this?

Q: What is the best way to display a dynamic text in 3D?

Q: How can I control a robot by reading the movement instructions from a text file?

Q: I would like to know how I can stitch 2 grounds together.

Q: What is the best way to make an NPC disappear at the end of his path and go back at the beginning over and over? I want to create a dynamic city street scene.

Q: I'd like the player to shoot fireballs that get destroyed when they collide with other entities.

Q: I want to create an entity that follows the player. Can anyone help?

Q: How can I make certain entities in my level to be visible even if they are behind walls?

=====
AUM105
=====

Q: I want a car to go down the street. When the car is at the end of the street, it should teleport at the starting point and do it again.

Q: I need a panel window with a circular shape but I don't know how to do it; anyone has an idea?

Q: I'm working with WED and the shooter template. I made a second level where the characters can buy weapons. When the player enters the second level without weapons, it looks good (no entities equipped). As soon as the player collects weapons in the 2nd level, random entities get equipped as weapons (a random box or plant) and they act as working weapons. How can I fix this?

Q: I'd like to have my main menu buttons slide down and stop at their final positions, but I don't know how to do that.

Q: I have created a shooter game using Gamestudio's template script but I can't get my player to grab the gun. The character's arms move like they are firing a gun but the gun is hanging in the air.

Q: When my player get close to steps (model blocks or level blocks from WED) he automatically lifts and goes up to the block, but I want it to keep always on the floor and only get on the steps when I jump on them.

Q: I'd like to have an mp3 file that plays one time after pressing a key. If the sound is still playing and you press the same key, the sound must start over.

Q: How can I use ptr_for_handle to make an entity pointer save-proof?

Q: I need a menu to pop up when I right click a button on a panel. Can anyone help?

Q: Is there any way to use the mouse button to move the barrels in my warehouse one by one to another position?

=====
AUM106
=====

Q: I have followed the 6 first workshops of the GameStudio Online Tutorial. Now I am trying to make my own button with 3 different images of the same size, but it doesn't work.

Q: How can I get the coordinates of the model which was hit by a c_trace ray?

Q: How do I manage to have collision using only 2D bmaps? My collision script is so buggy...

Q: I have a panel that pops up with a button on it. The button closes the panel correctly, but it doesn't disappear together with the panel. Can anyone help?

Q: How can I build a circular mask using two different panels? The first panel would be the one of the front and the other one would be the background.

Q: How can I restart a level and all of my codes? As an example, I remove an entity using ent_remove during the game and I'd like it to be created again when the level is restarted.

Q: I want to build an object that rotates. On this object another object should be placed, acting as a flickering light.

Q: I have a 3d model and want it coming out of the ground little by little, like a line of grass growing up on the ground.

Q: How do I make my models have shadows on terrain entities? I've tried everything...

Q: I'm struggling with a piece of code that lets an entity turn and run towards the player. Any ideas how to achieve that with a smooth movement so that the entity won't turn first, and then start running towards the player?

=====
AUM107
=====

Q: I am experiencing low frame rates with very large scenery in 3DGS. Could you tell me what techniques I should use in order to optimize the process of very large scenes in 3DGS?

Q: How would you assign an action from the script that you have created to an entity in Wed? I have copied the script inside the game folder, but I don’t see it inside Wed’s “Resources” tab. Is there a tutorial for this?

Q: I want to use 'inkey' to type a string to the screen and more importantly then save it to a txt file. This is explained in AUM 74 using a booker database as an illustration. When saving to a txt file AUM 74 gets into structs and pstring which I want to avoid; is there a simple way of saving the inkey data to a text file?

Q: I would like to have snow falling down from the sky, and when it collides with the ground I would like it to make a white pixel. Is it possible to do that?

Q: I am trying to make a dynamic loading level, with an entity that rotates while the level is loading and disappears after the level was loaded. I hope that this is possible.

Q: I am trying to get a spear to appear in my player's hand and move and rotate with it, but it wasn’t animated together with it. Is there any chance to do that and make it look nice?

Q: I have several entities that are parts of a single ship. How is it possible to treat them as a "single" entity (e.g. move and rotate the ship with all attached entities)?

Q: I'm trying to make a panel A with a button that (when clicked) will display panel B. Also, panel B will have a button that (when clicked) will display panel A, and so on. How do I do that?

Q: I have had 3DGS for awhile now but have never had the time to devote to a project until recently. Before I get started on any development I wanted to know if there are any tips anyone can give me to help me not lose my way and get distracted by little details. Should I be setting myself goals or making some kind of development plan or something? Really anything that you find helpful when you want to stay focused.

Q: Is there an opposite for enable_scan, like disable_scan? If the answer is negative, how do I disable the scanning for a specific entity, which was sensitive to scanning initially?