Let me preface this by saying that I have gone over the Tutorials for both SED and WED and MED. I've completed those. Thing is, those are isolated tutorials covering very specific parts of the engine.

I haven't been able to find anything providing a map, or work-flow of how all these programs work together, bringing it all into the context of an actual project. What programs are used for what aspect? What's the chicken and what's the egg?

That sounds like a dumb question, but hear me out.

A great example. Terrain. Is there one primary approach to creating and editing terrain in 3DGS? I haven't been able to find any official tutorial or explanation. It seems there's as many different methods as there are tutorials I've found - and most of those tutorials have been in German, which I can't read or understand, unfortunately. Certainly there was some specific work-flow in mind when the terrain system's editing tools were created and implemented? Is that process documented anywhere?

That brings me to my next issue. Is there a good, strong resource somewhere that provides a comprehensive set of tutorials in English? I'd say, in my searches on here, on Google and on Youtube, 90% of the tutorials I find, easily, are in German. Those that I find in English are either out-dated, incomplete or broken links.

I guess that would explain why most of the more impressive looking projects released with it are also from German companies. There just seems to be a much better wealth of information for that community that is simply and sorely lacking for the English speaking one.

In essence, though I own a license for 3DGS (A7) and would love to use it for 2 or 3 projects I have, the problem I find myself running into is that I just can not make heads or tails of this game creation system. It's kind of a mess to me.

If this message seems like a rambling mess, then it's doing a good approximation of my level of confusion in trying to figure out which way is up with 3DGS lol. I don't doubt its capabilities. I just find figuring out where/how to get started with it to be unintuitive and frustrating at the moment.

So.. is there a good resource someone can point me to that I might have overlooked completely, that really starts from square one and gives a good, thorough outline of each tool, its place in the pipeline and where and how it would be used in the context of a project? How does each individual program contribute to the "suite of tools" as a whole?

For example, what, specifically, is GED used for, since it seems to overlap WED and MED in some aspects from what I've seen, etc.

Is there a book that can be recommended maybe?

Really don't intend to come across as a jerk here lol. I'm just sitting here looking at these interesting tools I have, with no idea "where 1 is".

Thanks

Last edited by Preypacer; 10/15/12 04:07.