Thanks for the feedback/information.

I was curious about GED because it seems to have been added since the last time I looked at this software. I was looking for some in depth documentation on it, but couldn't really find any, so I started poking around in it. What I saw seemed to be a map editor with its own terrain editor (which further added to my confusion about creating terrains, because now here's yet another method that seemed to have been introduced). But, at the end of it, like the other programs, it wasn't clear to me where its "place" was with the other tools.

So it's just supposed to be a sort of UnrealEd-Lite sort of a thing, where you're working directly with the game engine for a WYSIWYG type of deal, only you can't create BSP geometry or anything?

That's unfortunate because, personally, I think it would be the most logical and intuitive thing to go with the approach of having a single editor that's more "everything under one roof", than all the app juggling, importing and exporting the current setup seems to require.

I guess I just came to 3DGS expecting there to be some kind of intended, or suggested, or even self-evident work flow around which the tools were developed. It's the way it's been in most other engines I've checked out, and I guess I assumed the same would be true for 3DGS.

I'll use terrain again as my example, since it's been one of the most elusive things about 3DGS for me ever since I first checked it out years ago. I still have yet to successfully get a good-looking, functional terrain into this engine, despite all the tutorials I've gone through, etc. The part that trips me up the most is texturing, or "skinning" them. There seems to be a number of ways to do this, and a number of apps involved in the process. Some involve scripting, some don't. Some have you creating the texture in a separate program, some have you creating it via some multi-texture script, some have you creating it using that wonky terrain texture app inside MED that makes no sense to me and for which I can't find any kind of good tutorials either. What makes it more confusing is that I'm not sure if the techniques shown in some of them are still relevant or recommended as they're using earlier versions of the engine.

It's all kind of confusing to me. I'd expect there to be at least one, officially intended and well-documented process for getting a good looking, well-textured terrain into the engine. I've yet to find one.

Considering there are many people apparently doing just fine with the engine, I can't help but feel like there's some gold mine of awesome tutorials and examples somewhere that I just haven't found yet.

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, but this engine just confuses the heck out of me.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Preypacer; 10/15/12 12:10.