when I selected 3dgs, approx. I knew what I want, and what are my limitations - I have little programming knowledge in Delphi and Java, and in old C64 basic laugh . I planned to use mainly the free version, but I bought the extra as I wanted to release my editor without source code. and later I got some money as Xmas and birthday present to upgrade to commercial because it contains some essential things I have to learn and include in my project. now there are a few missing things only I need, sprite/model instancing, gpu animation, and resource packaging. but pro is far too expensive...
in esenthel I get a much up-to-date graphics system and tools, I really have to deal with only programming game features (my programming knowledge starts to be okay for this simplified C++), and make models, and assemble outdoor levels. for free if I make a free game.
another thing I'm plannign to try out is UDK, but as I heard its workflow is much more complex, not really for indie developers, rather for developer groups.

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor