Ok i changed this post as some users pointed what i said as beeing stupid !

----------------------

This is crazy, but each time i go to Unity i find so much new games and tools in the makings, even mazing ones made by amateurs that looks so good ?? I'm amazed ...
So i thaught to luanch some open discussion laugh

I don't have seen people here producing such good done FPS for example game on the amateur side (made by a lonewolf) !
amateur FPS
Little team for some MMO :
MMO City of Steam

Even independant people produce , more and more amzing tools :
procedural character generation
MegaShapes

Well i think Unity is just like a small snow ball increasing each time ... specially with all stuff on their Store.
And beeing so 3D artist oriented and helping them with great tools , just make it even more popular among all 3D artists people.
I didn't have seen 3DGS in 3D artists forum, or i missed lot of threads ... they usually use UDK, and some Unity when it comes to think on some game perhaps.

--------------------

I agree 3DGS can stay with it's own editor, without looking too much at what others do. There will always be market for it indeed.
Like Dark Basic Pro and all it's fans, Ogre 3D and it's commercial projects etc ...
I didn't say Unity will be the only one indeed.
Even teams have choosen Open source engine like Ogre 3D to be free to do as they want and their own tools.

Unity before becoming popular, was used, had a great workflow and editor that Mac users loved a lot indeed.
And it was made by one man, the actual man behind all unity staff laugh
I think he just put all chances by making a good 3D engine , and friendly editor with lot of visual things to help 3D artists. Unity had a great solid workflow and a 3D editor people loved to use, i think this was a great start even when it wasnt' so popular.
Than he brought the editor for Windows, just opened it to all Windows users, but what made it even more popular has been all mobile games, caus it wasn't so lot of PC or console projects known games ,only few !
I won't wait for mobile, but if 3DGS allow mobile games, yes it will be a serious boost i think.
We'll have to see all advantages against other mobile ready 3D engines ?

So what could make 3DGS more popular ?
- Mobile ?
- Lot more 3D artist orieted stuff :
I don't talk about complete game style template but a lot of little things here and here that make 3D artists happy (visual helpers, terrain editor, import formats, real time editing , snapping tools , shader list to apply them directly etc ...) ?

Will 3DGS grows a lot when some new things will come ?
(I think some users prefer that question than the previous one ?)

Last edited by ratchet; 01/12/13 20:44.