You know what? I think JustSid is right on this one.

I do believe Realspawn when he says it was a lot of work for him, and he's certainly allowed to be proud of his work!
But that's not what we're supposed to judge and/or honor here. This is about the objectively best created content that teaches people something (well, I guess "serious games" could be more than that, but it'S not like anyone attempted that). "Animals" may be a nice game for kids, but it doesn't teach anything (unless we count the sound animals make, and this is pushing it).

And the use of someone else's work - without crediting it, even! - in a non-private, non-for-hobby project is an instant reason to disqualify the entry.

Even not counting that, the whole thing seems like missed opportunities to me. Why not show the scale of planets and distances, or at least allow the display to be switched to that? Why not show some basic parameters about the planets?
I do like the idea of asking the player to command a spaceship, though. However, it's cleary unfinished and in a very early state. We're left with an interactive, single vec_dist-check, that's a bit underwhelming for a contest winner. Maybe I'm just bitter because I like astronomy, and this treatment of it isn't what I would like to see

Alright, enough negativity for one post. Sorry Realspawn, please don't be angry at this. I do appreciate you taking time to work with this engine and that you show your progress. I also fondly remember some of your earlier projects. But I think you've made a mistake here that for some reason you're not getting called out on, which seems unfair and wrong to me. JustSid spoke up, and he's completely right on this.

EDIT: 3run - please, if you're not comfortable discussing this in public, then, err, don't start a discussion in public. Don't use this cop-out to have the automatic last word.

Last edited by Error014; 01/12/13 21:52.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!