You must understand a complete new developing process ( you must think like creating scenes for a movie - your work on a stage.

You must understand the editor - because you work with the editor (in gs you primary work with the sed!) - and you have a very powerful tool with the unity editor to get some of the biggest needs - time. This includes the cooperation with the script editor.

and you have to handle with a more difficult scripting language.

Seems to come from some Fan ? Well just take the thrid person tutorial, download the level and assets and FOLLOW the tutorial before talking about "Virtual cinema" or whatever laugh

Scripting is Javascript, where it is hard ? All the time is calling Unity 3D functions.
Integrating the script, i don't see the problem.
The code script is like 3DGS actions, but put in Events (init , update ...)

C# is incredibly easy , more natural than Lite C (no initialisations needed, no strange variables etc ...)
And you have just to search for C# package tutorial on their site.

All amazing plugins just proove : LOT OF PEOPLE ACHIEVE TO MAKE PLUGINS (and complicated ones also !)
So yes, full customization for tools.
If you have a team, one member could make tools for your game and entire team ... perhaps easily !

The editor is incredibly easy to put your scene, import new assets, adjust physics, choose shaders ... or you have some problem, OR ALL 3D ARTISTS USING UNITY ARE INCREDIBLY SKILLED FOR EDITORS USE ???

For terrain editor, vegetation, forget the next years ... 3DGS next is new WED and mobile.

Yes this is specific stuff, a learning curve like any engine.
But for lot of trivial things you have visual Helpers like particles panel for behaviour and creation (so easy to make them), character capsule editor etc ...

Or perhaps all 3D artists and specially those that are not 3D game makers are laying saying that it allows them to make what they want ?

If 3DGS is top for you, and you are more than happy, in that case i understand, and can just say : continue and push it to the limits !

in the other case if you don't plan to put one, two months learning another engine , you'll never learn it ... and continue with a closed mind against other 3D engines ...
(Just sorry for you to perhaps pass away from other good 3D engines ??)

I don't prone Unity , i use another indie 3D engine i prefer for many reasons, but after having learning it, using it ... really don't talk about difficulty to customize it or make any special game !
And don't talk about "just push a button and bad sliders", all helpers just avoid you to LOOSE TIME on TRIVIAL STANDARD STUFF !
Capsule visual adjust panel, particle panels etc... you adjust and view in real time instead of coding (tries/error system) , and you can just gain lot of time you can put on lot more specific stuff for your game !

Perhaps you need to program all by yourself like lot of hard core coders ? in that case i understand, fast creation on standard stuff (shaders, terrain, physics ...) and visual tweaking is not your taste !

-----------------------

For Neo Axis , that's really sad that the author don't put much hard work on the docs, the engine have great features and a cool workflow.

Last edited by ratchet; 01/18/13 21:34.