For people thinking workflow and attracting the more people possible (not only programmers but 3D artists) is not essential :

PS4 article (on gamesindustry.biz)

Sony appears to recognize that this isn't the same marketplace that PS3 launched into in 2006. The industry has changed enormously and Sony must contend not just with Microsoft and Nintendo, but iOS, Android and Steam.

Sony needs developers more than developers need Sony and so it's in the company's best interest to do everything possible to attract them in droves.

We'll see if that proves to be the case with PS4 in the long run, but what we saw and heard at the event was a very positive sign.

I think you can do the parallele with 3D engines.
Without customers, without 3D artists to show great visual games, without simple attractive workflow ... it will be hard to attract lot of new comers.

Things have changed a lot.
I remember finding BLitz3D because Directx Was too hard.
Then i find 3DGS but had to wait before i could afford it.
Yes in these times there was only few 3D engines with 3D world editors.
I remember a not so bad 3D engine : Cypher Engine, that sink down caus of the author letting it down
Or KJAPI engine,i was waiting for their 3D world editor, it was a financed medieval FPS some awesome game, but well the financed game just sink down and the engine.

So yes there was 3DGS, and Torque 3D, there was the main indie engines having a complete 3D editor.

Than begun Unity on Mac only, Windows users just found the editor a real revolution and awesome.
It was not very known before mobile support and that braugh it more popular.
And other engines offering also a world editor have come :
Esenthel, C4 Engine, LeadWerks, Shiva 3D , UT3 , Cryteck etc ... in the indie market.

So yes choice is incredibly lot more big, for any type of project.
Each has it's own workflow, easy script or programming.
The old days of 3D for anyone precursors are no more, now it's creation of advanced 3D games possible even UT3 giving special shaders or terrain/sky system.

So yes, this is choice, so more debates.

Last edited by ratchet; 02/21/13 16:41.