Originally Posted By: lostzac
Would not the real question be not if we are a simulation but if we are who is the main player...I mean how many of us want to be bots just running aimlessly around with no purpose...oh wait that would be the majority of us....

I think you should read up the difference between a simulation and a narrated novel.
Also, why are you all so egocentric? It may very well be that we are just a byproduct of the simulation and neither part of the predicate of the outcome nor in any way important to the simulation itself.

Originally Posted By: lostzac
I wonder if their then would be a way to hack the simulation..

That depends. I think the problem is that most of you assume that this means that life is a computer game, with every human controlled by some kind of script. This is a pretty high level approach, which I don't think is really feasible. Instead the only thing actually required to simulate a universe is to simulate the physical laws on the lowest level, ie the interaction of quantum particles. Throw a bunch of them into a simulated space and then simulate only the particles, the rest will develop on its own as a result.

[insert philosophical debate about the implications on free will here]

There is a huge amount of interesting thought experiments, for example, if we are simulated then it's possible to save the state of the simulation, stop it, re-apply a previous state etc. We could all vanish in the next second because the universe got reset to a previous state.

PS: In case this is the last second of existence before our simulation is stopped and thrown away; I never liked any of you!

Last edited by JustSid; 03/13/13 22:17. Reason: blahblahblah mr freeman

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com