That's why I said "in my opinion", and I disagree with your post except the part that the climbing in Assassin's Creed is part of a bigger goal/ gameplay mechanic. For a better example of what I dislike about it see Uncharted or Remember Me (did not play this one though, only saw a Wtf is... video from Totalbiscuit). There you only point where you want to go and press a single button, 99% of the time having no other choice. There is no fun in that mechanic, you cannot say that his has been your chosen escape route or whatever. The only thing that those passages have is that it's oftentimes nice to look at.
Imagine you are now creating your own game and you want to or think you have to include those jumping/ climbing passages, too. This will not benefit your game at all in most cases, not only because your visuals will most likely not match those of current AAA titles, but because it's not an interesting mechanic your players will care about or remember about your game (it is so overused for the last couple of years).
The jumping in a (2D/ 3D) Mario game is IMO not comparable to such a climbing mechanic, it's your timing, your direction, the duration you hold the button for additional air time, corrections during the jump and so on, where the direction, timing and speed of your jump depend on previous and future actions (like a moving enemy), too. It's a completely different thing to let's say the semi-automatic jumping on a wall in Uncharted.

Regarding the newest Tomb Raider game, I find it (at least the first part and the first hours, don't know more) mind numbingly stupid (again, me, not everyone), the whole development and those pseudo cool action sequences where the game simply takes control over your character (same as in Uncharted to some extent, CoD since MW 2, Battlefield, Far Cry 3's story missions and esp. Max Payne 3).

I did not mention Superku anywhere, esp. not that it's better/ does have better jumping mechanics, because it is not.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends