Hi Malice, in my view Games are about Entertainment, interactive entertainment at that too, whether its a solo experience or social (in a broad sense).

From this platform (entertainment) comes familiarity (getting to know the rules and scope of the game) and subsequently skill (mastering the elements)and then active engagement (if you find you like the game after all that).

That is its fundamental foundation.

Game types are then expressions of variety on themes and each one carries with it 'rules of engagement' either to give full reign to a players freedom of expression or to limit a players freedom of expression in order to concentrate on a skill.

Always entertainment is the core foundation.

So applying this to modern Digital games expressions with the parameters of your known skill set and your area of interest should give you a good clue as to what you want to do (i.e. motivation)

This would ensure that the game type you take on is what will hold your interest in the long run and give you incentive to start and finish a game concept.

Using your history would be invaluable in making such a determination, for example, the most common games I played as a child was Board games and hero role play games with other children and the mode I really enjoyed was one where I could control the rules of the game to ensure an outcome that favoured my sense of accomplishment.

Translating that to digital games, I prefer adventurous strategic games in first/third person modes.

And from that my choice is then RPG with TBS elements which is expressed by digital game board development currently.

I am relearning GS as I havnt done anything with it for over 4 years and so after perusing AUM I found the Snakes and Ladders example and am currently developing my version in a copy cat fashion as well as another version to increase the learning curve and make the game 'my own'.

So I would suggest that AUM Plug and Play may give you some ideas as they come with working examples from which you can determine if they are within your skill set and interest range to pursue as a start for your choice of development.

But in short, make what you like playing the most.