Aha!
Now we are talking. And while we are talking, you probably don't want to brute force this, it's going to be slow as hell!

Again, put your word dictionary into a trie! Tries are perfect to match prefixes, which is exactly what you want to do. Next up create a list of all prefixes and their end positions, ie, at the beginning you have an n x n sized list one for each letter (and the matched prefix then becomes a letter). Each of these triplets looks something like this: (x, y, s) where x and y are the coordinates in the letter matrix and s is the already found prefix.

Now, go over every in the list and for each entry go over all adjacent letters (l) in the letter matrix and check s + l against the trie.
if s + l is a word, add it to the found word list
if s + l is a prefix to a word, add a new entry to the list with x and y being the position of l in the letter matrix and s being s + l

Rinse and repeat until you are done.

The rest is just iterating over the output to find the longest match, and tada you are done.
I would like to add that this idea isn't mine but comes from this StackOverflow question, which also contains some more possible solutions. You'll see a lot of tries there, which is due to the fact that tries are the perfect data structure for this sort of thing. Know your data structures wink

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com