This update to build 600 has not been forced on me yet, but I'm scared now after reading more about this. I try not to close/reopen my MT4 platforms and haven't done so in several weeks. They are still on build 509. There has been no word from my broker about this update yet, though I have received a couple alerts from other brokers who must have my email.

Anyway, I found this article which seems useful for delaying the update:
http://4xtrader.net/mt4-build-600-why-you-should-not-update-it

I will start proactively contacting my broker to find out when the update will be forced (ie, when they will stop supporting build 509 connections). My experience in the past has been that old builds are supported for a period, and then at some point everyone will be required to update.

One reason for delaying the update is just common sense: on a major release like build 600... do you want to be a guinea pig beta tester on your accounts? If not, just delay as long as you can and then update to the latest refined build when you are forced with no choice. That will save you a few headaches anyway.

EDIT: FYI here is how IBFX replied when I asked about a forced upgrade to build 600+. Sounds like MetaQuotes dictates it from the broker-server side.
Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry.

Currently Metaquotes the manufacturer of the software is currently at build 610.

We cannot specifically say when builds prior to 600 will be discontinued, we have not been given an ETA. Currently we have no forced update timeframe and as long as builds prior to 600 keep working you may use them.

Metaquotes has not given us any final date or cutoff date, if there is we will try and let you know.

Thank you for your business

Last edited by dusktrader; 02/26/14 11:12.