The last couple of days I have been playing Brutal Doom (Doom 2) and it's the most satisfying, meaty combat and weapon handling I've ever seen in a game. If you are not offended by huge amounts of gore give it a try!

What this game does is it motivates me to try and create a shooter myself, a mixture between the first Turok, Doom 2, Metroid Prime and Superku (which means running on walls or the like). I have tried this multiple times before but I could not get the weapon handling right, however I think I can do it if I invest some time in it.

The biggest problem obviously is the content creation. I'd go for an old-school look with some modern (particle) effects and low-polygon enemies, similar to the following screenshot of Brutal Doom:

The question is, do you think a shooter is doable on your own (in a 1-2 people team), especially as a hobby developer? Why wouldn't you create one yourself?

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends