Very cool! I've long figured that my sentences probably look weird overall compared to those produced by native speakers but couldn't confirm it because I still don't have a very good frame of reference and don't know which combinations of words sound more "normal" overall than others.

Probably the reason my sentences appear unusual for someone who has English as their first language is because even when I write in English I tend to use, erm, fairly peculiar word choices. As an example, even in my very last post I wrote:
Originally Posted By: Me
... which just makes this tragedy of human character that much harder to witness.

You would probably never hear somebody say this in real life outside of a prepared speech delivered at a convention for mentally challenged social rejects such as myself. tongue

That being said I sure hope that none of you have picked up anything I've written as good practice because if you ever said any of these things to a living, breathing person here in the states, they'd probably think you're a bloody retard.

Well, thanks for the tips at any rate, I'll be sure to bear them in mind for next time. When I wrote that essay I used Menschen/Leute interchangeably just to avoid sounding monotonous, but it's good to know they're kinda sorta not at all synonymous with each other.

EDIT: By the way, although they're obviously cognitively similar to eachother, "Naturally" and "Natürlich" don't really mean the same thing. In German "Natürlich" is a perfectly usable everyday word to mean things like "of course" or "certainly" but in english it pretty much exclusively means something along the lines of "predictably". ie:

"When he ran out of milk he naturally went to pick some up at the store."

In other words, "naturally" tends to emphasize cause and effect. He went to the store because he ran out of milk. If you meant to say that his going to the store was obvious in and of itself, you'd probably use the phrase "of course". ie:

"Of course he went to the store to pick up some milk when he ran out."

But to most people you will sound like a prick if you just say it like that. As if they were supposed to know he would go to the store. Shame on you.

Last edited by Redeemer; 04/13/14 01:00.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!