Sorry, but after 4 years with Gamestudio, he is no beginner anymore.
And even if he were, what's that supposed to mean? "Oh, he is a beginner, he doesn't have to learn, let's just give him code to copy and paste".

Contrary to the popular opinion, I don't mind answering beginner questions. What I do have a problem with however is people who don't seem to be interest at all in learning, but who just want to get their code.

So, why the fuck do I have a problem with that and you can cry me a river over how rude I am?
1) They don't contribute back. They can't, because they don't understand the things they were fed.
2) Turns out, programming really is about identifying a problem and taking all your previous knowledge to come up with a new solution tailored towards the problem. That's why understanding is so important, and why just throwing code at people won't help anyone.

Of course, you need a basic fundamental understanding of things. Program flow, how expressions work, stuff like boolean algebra, bit arithmetic, helps to know what a float and an int is and what distinguishes them. Stuff like that. I'm more than happy to explain these things if the asker seems to be genuinely interested in learning.

Then, there is problems with solving a problem. This isn't fundamental anymore, this is "hey, I'm stuck, here is my problem". If someone asks for pointers into the right direction so they can do their own research and eventually come up with their own solution: No problem whatsoever, I'm more than happy to help. And also to elaborate on things and the whys.

So, tl:dr: I wish I had a Euro for every time someone cried because a beginner was treated rudely.

Edit: Damn 3run, what a sick burn. Looks like I have to and go cry myself to sleep tonight.

Last edited by WretchedSid; 07/28/14 13:04.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com