I'm trying to check if the player is in any region and if so, check if the region name starts with the word "abyss". If it does, it would be "abyss1", "abyss2", "abyss3", etc. So I want to extract the number at the end of the string and convert it to an integer. I've played around with most of the string manipulation functions defined in strio.c but somehow, I keep getting empty pointer exceptions.
Code:
//GLOBAL VARAIBLES
STRING* AbyssNameString = str_create("");
STRING* AbyssNumberString = str_create("");
STRING* TempString = str_create("");
STRING* ComparisonString = str_create("Abyss");

//THESE LINES ARE INSIDE PLAYER'S WHILE(1) LOOP
if(region_find(AbyssNameString, my.x))//check if ent is in region & store name of region
        {
            if(str_cmpni(AbyssNameString, "Abyss")) //if the region is an abyss
            {        	
        	    str_parse_head(AbyssNumberString, AbyssNameString, "Abyss"); //store number that comes after 'abyss'        
                if(region_check(AbyssNameString,vMin,vMax))
                {
             	   vec_set(my.x, Player1RespawnPosition[str_to_num(AbyssNumberString)]); 
                }        	
            }        
        }
//THIS DOESN'T WORK

Code:
if(region_find(AbyssNameString, my.x))//check if ent is in region & store name of region
        {
TempString = str_cut(NULL, AbyssNameString, 1, 5); //store first 5 letters in TempString
            if(str_cmpi(TempString, "Abyss")) //if the region is an abyss
            {        	
        	    str_parse_head(AbyssNumberString, AbyssNameString, "Abyss"); //store number that comes after 'abyss'        
                {
                }        	
            }        
        }
//THIS DOESN'T WORK

Code:
        {
TempString = str_cut(NULL, AbyssNameString, 1, 5); //store first 5 letters in TempString
            if(str_cmpi(TempString, ComparisonString)) //if the region is an abyss
            {        	
                {
                }        	
            }        
        }
//THIS DOESN'T WORK

And I tried many other similar permutations