Originally Posted By: Wjbender
I have some suggestions for you 3run .

the enemies start shooting way to soon , there needs to be some sort of a pause for a moment and some sort of reaction before they start shooting at you ,like getting startled /yelling before wasting ammo on you
There is a pause, but it's depends currently on the fire rate of each enemy, so I guess I'll need to add a seperate state, like ALERTED or so, in order to make enemy get alerted and call other enemies around (they call for support around already grin ), and it will get triggered from specific amount of time, independent from fire rate.

the enemies different approaches to attack ,is quite good ,however it seems like they never miss ?
well, they do miss, thing is that level area is too small, it could be really strange for them to miss when they shoot static object from two-three meters? grin They weapon also do has an accuracy, so they shotgun will work only for close ranges and so on..

the enemies never seem to be caught unaware ,I guess this cannot be any different because they only face towards you always ?
They aren't always facing player, it's only the visual sprite which is always oriented towards the camera. Try to be more cautious, you may notice that when they aren't alerted, they more slowly, also 'walking' animation is player slower..

there is never a period of reloading clips ,however you pick up ammo in clips , this kinda takes away the feeling that I am responsible somehow for managing my ammo .
Reloading isn't planed at all. In most of older games (even DooM?), there is no reloading at all, only total amount of ammo for each weapon. Here in this project, I've managed to have only one type of ammo for shotgun and smg, so it's depends on the player how he wants to spends the ammo, via smg (high fire rate, low damage, good accuracy) or shotgun (low fire rate, high damage, bad accuracy).

I could probably also shoot through a whole level without worrying about ammo supply , because there seems to be too much of it , how about some enemies drop some pickups , this way you are rewarded for being successful.
About ammo, you've got the point of WIP project as I see your post above, as this wasn't an actual game level, only a testing area ammo isn't needed to be limited. Well, I'll think about pickups, but probably I won't added them, as I've said before this project it TRYING to be as simple as possible, the goal is to find a key->open door->move farther. Maybe you played a game called 8-bit killer?

hearing enemies close to you on the level within some radius would add to that retro feel ,at this point you are completely unaware of any and all npc's around you unless they're right in front of you .
This also won't happen, cause as soon as I'll add music on the background, all those noises will make some troubles overlaying with music.

enemies gang up on you , so the restrictions of the level size really squeezed me into being unable to avoid getting shot.
About this one, in father levels I'm planning to have this kind of small level areas too, cause they do make you feel nervous a little bit, cause you are almost always waiting for an enemy to jump up on you from a corner with a shotgun, and well he won't miss if you won't move fast enough! This will be needed to dilute the simple gameplay mechanics I'm trying to archive laugh

I know your still busy developing so some of my suggestions seems unrelated , but thats what I thought about..

I like it though , feels solid and there is definitely a doable game within those dynamics .

ps..I get there's unlimited ammo because its a test ,would have liked to have test it on a larger level with normal ammo clip sizes..
Thank you very much! You've had some really nice and very important remarks! laugh

As I see that nowadays public doesn't really understand and like too simplified games, maybe I'll change the concept and style grin I liked to keep it simple as it is, with enemies which are only 2D, always rotated towards the player etc.. but I see that not much of people understand this kind of outdated look nowadays frown

I was aiming to get this kind of style at the end, I've already said that all sprites are placeholder, but well...
Quote:
8BIT KILLER:

Gun Godz:

Last edited by 3run; 01/13/15 09:06. Reason: added images

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung